Thread: WIP Unamed

Blog Entries

Default WIP Unamed

Trying something new to me, i have always tried more photo realistic maps in the past. This is meant to look as though it's embossed into parchment or maybe leather with watercolor or chalk coloration. The beginnings of the mountains and forests are in the upper left, Maybe more vivid? I'll give it a name if it lives.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I really like this so far; very low-key and subtle on the terrain, nice. I'd just be careful not to let your rivers overwhelm everything else...

It's a strong start! I like it a lot.

Blog Entries

Some more coloring done. I may have the colors too bright now, I'm not quite getting the effect i hoped for.

I like it, but i'm wondering if you are trying to overly mesh "Ancient Hand Drawn" maps and "Satellite Photo" maps. Looks good tho.

Also, when you "stroked" the coastlines, you need to be sure and delete any strokes where the continent extends beyond the map (bottom margin)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WillP View Post
    I like it, but i'm wondering if you are trying to overly mesh "Ancient Hand Drawn" maps and "Satellite Photo" maps. Looks good tho.

Also, when you "stroked" the coastlines, you need to be sure and delete any strokes where the continent extends beyond the map (bottom margin)
    Will do about the bottom margin, I've begun that plus removed the dark "strokes", desaturated colors and subdued the texturing somewhat. When i get everything else to my liking I'll move the actual map layers down and cut the bottom margin to conform to the outer parchment tatters. This is closer to what I'm hoping for, an ancient map that was once (perhaps intricate and colorful ) but is now faded, I'm going to try to distress whatever labeling i end up using along with the map. not exactlly what i want but, ehh.

Bingo. Now throw in some labels that bleed into the parchment, and it will really look old.

Blog Entries

just a bit more, first title, I'm thinking of overlaying some flaked off gold.

Guild Adept

I love the style and coloring on that map. Well done. Eagerly anticipating the finished product.

Love the way this is starting to look, very classy.