Thread: Introductions & first map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Introductions & first map

Hi everyone!

I'm new here, so this post will be my introduction post, and also a 'first map' post. I'm a 27 year old Norwegian RPG enthuiast, who have been playing a number of RPG games on and off for the past 14 years. I do some hobby photography and wanted to develop and utilize my photoshop skillset for more than just editing pictures, so for the past few days I have been tinkering on a map for the 3e D&D conversion of Birthright (a low fantasy, strategy rpg setting from the 90's) that I am running on a bi-weekly basis. The old 2E material simply did not meet the needs of the group, so I decided to make my own version of it. This is my first map in photoshop - a program I am completely new to in regards to drawing, so the many hints, tips, tricks I found here on The Cartographer's Guild proved invaluable. That is also why I want to share the map with you!

The map will be a continual work in progress, a map that will evolve as the players explore and conquer more and more of the land around them. The original map art for this part of the Birthright world was drawn by David C. Sutherland III (who is also known for drawing the cover art for the first edition Dungeon Master' Guide, and the 2nd ed. Monster Manual), and my work is largely based on his map art from the book 'King of the Giantdowns' from 1997.

I also want to thank Butch Curry for his video tutorials, CG resident Ramah for the TreeThing software and StarRaven over at DevArt for the map symbols.

And finally, here's the map:

Would love to get some feedback on it, just keep in mind that I am new to this

Welcome to the guild! I'm another newbie, but this community is really welcoming. Hope you enjoy your time here

Map looks really great, the forest borders look natural and I like how it's framed. You may want to make the black font a little more visible however!

@The Dragon: Thanks for the warm welcome man! I've added a weak outer glow to the text and removed some color bleed around the forests, made the text more visible and the forests look better when zoomed in. I'll probably upload a new version of the map after a couple more sessions

Welcome to the Guild danarki, and what a lovely first map to present. At is simple and attractive. Look forward to seeing more of your work.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

@Arsheesh Thanks for the welcome! I hope I'll be able to post many more maps in the future.

You map has that HAND DRAWN look I like so much.

Maybe some partchment texture to make it look like it was drawn on paper a long time ago and has aged?!?

Nice start!
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by danarki View Post
    And finally, here's the map:
    Hi Danarki, I'd like to see this but the link appears kapput =(