Thread: Creating a stylish compass rose

Guild Apprentice

Discuss Creating a stylish compass rose

Ok, so I've made some sketches of maps so far, but I really want to start getting down into the stylish side of maps (something I don't do as much, as I focus on realism and correctness) and I was wondering, out of curiosity since everyone has their own styles, how you guys draw and style your various compass roses on your maps. This is for the sake of myself and anyone who wants to make their compass rose a little more interesting, and it's kinda just a curiosity thing.

So, how do you guys do your compass roses. Are they stylish or simple? Do you have suggestions for new cartographers at this site? Do you have a special style or preference? Are there other features on your maps that make them stylish or nice in appearance. Make sure to post pictures as well for reference.

Guild Journeyer Guild Supporter mbartelsm's Avatar

I'd look up maps that look like the one I'm making or that have a style I find interesting and see what they have. If you want an overview of various types of compass roses, you may check out this link (don't click if you are on mobile data, though)