Thread: Oldhimn

Wip Oldhimn

Hi
    I'm not considering myself an artist, but i had to make a map of the world me and my friend are writing a book about. We have come pretty far as for world building and history and are about halfway for first draft. I wanted to make a tolkien-like map, but i'm not so expirienced. I've used atlas style approach. Feel free to comment with suggestions.

Here is the progress from skech on paper to digital.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00241.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	624.3 KB 
ID:	54893   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1oldhimn 800x600.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	220.2 KB 
ID:	54894   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oldhimnnnn.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	54895  

I love it. I think its a great looking map with good natural looking island formations. Some great names in your map as well but my one concern being Eberon. Although spelt with a slight difference, your's having only r, Wizards of the Coast probably have Eberron copyrighted. I don't know where they would stand with spelling variations and as someone who knows nothing about copyright i might be making a fuss out of nothing but if you plan on making money on this book it may be a problem. I'm probably wrong though so I wouldn't worry.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Shouldn't be a problem since it's not spelled the same.

Some names cannot be easily read on light background - e.g. Ronn and maybe Ematrya. But I think that's not a big problem.
    Should the coastline be a bit more stressed?

All in all the map has a very interesting look. And I also like the names

Quote Originally Posted by Eiliff Gunnbjorn View Post
    I love it. I think its a great looking map with good natural looking island formations. Some great names in your map as well but my one concern being Eberon. Although spelt with a slight difference, your's having only r, Wizards of the Coast probably have Eberron copyrighted.
    Be very careful with that name if you plan to publish anything. Omitting one R probably isn't enough. It would be like trying to market a new candy bar and calling it Hershie or a new car and calling it a Chevrolay. After paying legal costs, you'd lose. On the other hand, if you were making a chocolate bar or a car and calling it an Eberon. that probably would fly.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Copyright infringement wouldn't be the problem since a single word is not generally considered sufficiently creative to be copyrightable in the first place. Trademark infringement, however, could be. Trademarks are all about consumer confusion. If a court finds that your Eberon is "confusingly similar" to Eberron and that the two have the same source, then you would be infringing. Since I had never heard of Eberron before today, I would not be the relevant person to ask, but that fact that someone here noticed and pointed out the possible confusion is pretty good evidence that a court would do the same.

Thanks for all the feedback. I really had no idea that eberon was a name from wizards of the coast. Im not married to the name, but still... I guess a publisher would tell if that name will have to be changed in the end anyway.
    The coastlines will be a little more visible, and i will adjust the writing a bit, thanks for the tip Gallien.