Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My New Terra ...

Default My New Terra ...

Hello , now I want too to give a try to make My earthlike world ....

My interest and idea is to make a more similar to Earth as possible new land , not meaning by the shape of continents but by how those are arranged , how much sea / land proportion and to make the shapes AS much as possible realistical in order to later work on possible tectonics ...

The main requirements for my map was to mimic the Old memory I have of a Continental map I did when I was Younger , wich is the A section showed in the image .
    This shoudl be a sort of Mediterranean world surrunded by different cultures on the shores and center of a Romanolike empire .
    To the Section B instead is a Kind of Asia region .

The Two main continents are separated by a LArge Chasm , that its covered in Sea in the actual worlld but the idea was to make it something else perhaps a dry sea of silt or the like surrounded by endless steppes .

The rest of the continents idea is to mimicise possible contact between culture and experiment possible human evolutive lines so not completely isolated as were in past Americas.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Helium.jpg 
Views:	781 
Size:	933.2 KB 
ID:	65839

Let me know what you think and all possible to do changes in order to create belieavable tectonics .

And yes I still have to find a good name .

The old one was Helium but not sure if to keep .

Updated Version :

Here the Final Geographic map with the Oceanic dorsals traced and theTectonics ...

Attachment 66006

Attachment 66007

Attachment 66010

Red = Oceanic Dorsals
    Blue = Convergence zones
    Orange = Transformation zones
    Purple = Rifts
    Last edited by Naima; 07-28-2014 at 08:51 AM.

Well, Naima, I was kinda of curious to see what you would come up to, after a couple of weeks of obvious research and time investment. Not a bad outcome at all. I didn't spend much time trying to resolve your tectonics (that's your job, isn't it ). But I could see some obvious marks - here's what I think:

Name:	pointers.gif 
Views:	275 
Size:	441.7 KB 
ID:	65840

A and B parts of the main north central continent are splitting - you said it you wanted that as well, and it's pretty clear.
    Under A, there is a continent with a northern mountain range - it could be a north moving continent, "eating up" the sea between it and A.
    South of letter B you have a clear ocean region, with island chains to the west and the east, so it would be something like I scribbled - dunno about its south boundary.
    The Ocean west of B is closing on its northern half (both continents B and the one of the West have significant mountain ranges next to the ocean, that hints subduction), but it could still be opening on the south half (the question marks indicate that it will depend on the movement of those two continents)
    The continents on the east side of the map appear to be a kind of recent split, as they still fit very well. Therefore, it's a natural place to install a divergent boundary.

As I said before a lot of times, these are free-to-take-or-ignore suggestions. Just hope it helps the kick off

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post
    Well, Naima, I was kinda of curious to see what you would come up to, after a couple of weeks of obvious research and time investment. Not a bad outcome at all. I didn't spend much time trying to resolve your tectonics (that's your job, isn't it ). But I could see some obvious marks - here's what I think:

Name:	pointers.gif 
Views:	275 
Size:	441.7 KB 
ID:	65840

A and B parts of the main north central continent are splitting - you said it you wanted that as well, and it's pretty clear.
    Under A, there is a continent with a northern mountain range - it could be a north moving continent, "eating up" the sea between it and A.
    South of letter B you have a clear ocean region, with island chains to the west and the east, so it would be something like I scribbled - dunno about its south boundary.
    The Ocean west of B is closing on its northern half (both continents B and the one of the West have significant mountain ranges next to the ocean, that hints subduction), but it could still be opening on the south half (the question marks indicate that it will depend on the movement of those two continents)
    The continents on the east side of the map appear to be a kind of recent split, as they still fit very well. Therefore, it's a natural place to install a divergent boundary.

As I said before a lot of times, these are free-to-take-or-ignore suggestions. Just hope it helps the kick off
    Heeheh...Thankyou really helpfull ...

The fact is that the only bits I remember from my map are from the "mediterranean basin in A , surrounded with the Square ....
    lol and not even very well .
    I was wonderng if the Lands do look "natural" in the shapes since I made most of them by hand , Glad that the mountains do have a meaning . I can add and remove mountain ranges as well according to how they shoudl be moving or the like ... I will highlight in blue the areas who's shape I am not convinced if look natural ..
    by natural I mean like real life geography coastlines and shapes, . For the moment I want to keep the Tectonics at the very preliminary stage like thinking just of possible split/crush areas and possible plaques , then in the second phase decide what and how should be improved them to efine ...
    I will post here my new edited map , no geographic changes though yet .

Name:	hELIUM2.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	65841

The blue circled areas are regions I am not sure if I shoudl completely change , remove or just reqork the coastlines
    the Purple arrows suggest a possible rotation of those areas ( to be done by hand , not relative to the tectonics ) for making them look better
    The red lines I called striped lands .. I dunno how to call them but by remembering how the real Earth is done I refer to areas like the Aleutine islands the connection between Kamkatcha and Alaska , those kind of small island circles or Australia - Indonesia or Antarctica - South America

The other doubt I have is if I put too much land , I want a proportion of 70% but since I hand painted most of it I amnot sure so I was thinking to move also G continent toward more west or eventually Flipping it on horizontal side? Move C toward west .... D to follow a kind of circular shape and become a sort of tail of the northenr Continent , Flip B and rotate to give a northern concavity , As for E I wanted to give a sort of tectonic shape resemblance of the south incavity of H .
    What worries me the most though its the western coast of A and F , that it seems to me kind of innatural for some reason , also perhaps couse seems I can't paint well on the north pole ....

This map shows

Sigh ! Seems I have to trash the whole world as its unrecovereable ....

I have not saved it in ftw format and now I can'tedit it anymore in FT ... SO I have to start over ... gotta have to redo all the work by scratch and eventually the world will look completely different since anyway I only focused on trying to reget the Seazone in the red square ... I will try to make a new one also according to the new knowledge though .

Ok I had to redo all from scratch and here is a new version also handmade in FT3 , this time I made sure to save in the right format .

Opinions? Better than the old version or worst? what sugestions for tectonics etc? Any shape , continent not looking belieavable or to cut?
    Perhaps remembers too much real earth?

Name:	hELIUM2.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	65856
    Last edited by Naima; 07-19-2014 at 10:22 PM.

Hi Naima,

What a shame you lost the first map, i really liked the continental-shapes. It's not that your second try is bad, not at all, but i for one liked the first version better. Be that as it may, i'm looking forward to seeing this map develop.
    I don't think that it does look too much like earth. And some resemblance can even be cool, depending on what you want to do with this world.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Thankyou ....

here is the further Evolutio of the second map .

Geography

Name:	Helium Geography.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	65861

How a bout new refining?

Here a possible preliminary plaques subdivision ... Ideas thoughts?

Wrong segmentation? Too many plaques? where to place oceanic dorsals? Sugestions very welcome ....

Name:	Helium TEctonics.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	65862

Name:	Helium TEctonics_plain.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	324.2 KB 
ID:	65863

Guild Applicant

Your map is very impressive and I like the shape of your continents. Good Job with that!
    The tectonic plates are overall good, but look at your continent on plate H. The mountain range there is young and ought to be on the border of the plate, but you placed it in the middle.
    If it's an older mountain range, it should be shorter and less pronounced. I would do a quick check for this kind of things. The amount of plates is plausible (Earth has 15 major plates, you've got 16) and I like what you did on the border between C and D.

(Remember, I'm not an expert, but this is what I would do)

I agree with Weisse Rose. Those mountains in plate H look like an Andes type of feature (oceanic crust sinking at the border with the continent). I would make the coast close to the mountains and consider the ocean area between H and A a separate plate (it would be like Nazca plate)

I also think C and D fit just right as they are, but I strongly disagree with the place where you placed the boundaries between D, S and M. The middle of that ocean is a great place for an oceanic ridge. From the middle up is plate D (moving northward), from the middle to the south is plate S (moving southward) and plate M meets plate S at the mountains (currently within plate M).
    Plate D could also be extended eastward into plate E, and the long island exactly under the letter E would be in its boundary with T (this would almost/completely cut plate E from the ridge).

As for other obvious mid-ocean ridges (divergent boundaries). The most obvious location is right along the center of plate F. So, scrap that plate. The nothern half is fresh ocean crust part of the north polar plate (G) - which makes this the source of movement for that plate. The southern half would be part of I, L and H - this could implicate adjustments in those plates (also, it would make all of them move southwards).

Plate P also looks like a good place for a mid-ocean ridge, but I would first take this map into g.plates and find out the direction of movement for plate Q so that it fully justifies those beautiful island chains with P and with R.

..Uff, so many letters. I hope I didn't mix them up and that you can follow my descriptions.

Also, don't forget - the amount of ocean crust on both sides of a ridge is roughly the same if the continents are spreading away from the ridge. To make it asymmetrical, one of the sides must be suffering subduction (again, like Nazca plate - compare with Pacific plate)

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post

..Uff, so many letters. I hope I didn't mix them up and that you can follow my descriptions.

Also, don't forget - the amount of ocean crust on both sides of a ridge is roughly the same if the continents are spreading away from the ridge. To make it asymmetrical, one of the sides must be suffering subduction (again, like Nazca plate - compare with Pacific plate)

Hehe thankyou , i have yetto place names ... ...
    do u have time to show me on the. Map yuour ideas , I kind of think to understand what u mean but I am not sure what borders Nd exact locations u mean .... Also where unwould place the oceanic rifts? I tought between the A And the west but I tought that this is perhaps colliding worlds , perhaps as u say an center nazca plate could have a kind of eye shaped double dorsal?
    Last edited by Naima; 07-20-2014 at 11:26 AM.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast