Thread: I just wanted to make a decent map....

Post I just wanted to make a decent map....

And I ended up here. I continue to be amazed at the amount of useful, quality stuff on the web on every conceivable topic. This site certainly qualifies. I am very happy to have found myself here.

I am working towards a PhD in atmospheric science (hence the username), so I am used to working with real-life maps in things like MATLAB and Vis5d. And I have used GIMP for other things. But I never really did any fictional maps. Then one day my kids and I were making up short little fairy-tale adventure stories, and I decided to write a longer one for my kids to read. Naturally, I thought it would be cool to include a really awesome map. So I looked around for tips on how to make one and ended up here.

Right now I am working through some of the tutorials and learning the various tips and techniques for different kinds of maps. Once I get my feet wet, I will post something for comments.

Glad you found yourself here, AtmoGuy. Your Atmo knowledge might come in handy for the worldbuilders on the forum! Enjoy your stay and I hope you take the time to contribute your knowledge to the pool.

Welcome to the mappiest place on earth!

We tend to have a pretty eclectic group of folks with a common interest. Your background might get you dragged into a few discussions like this recent one: http://www.cartographersguild.com/re...eographer.html if yo are wiling to share your expertise!

-Rob A>

Welcome to the Guild AtmoGuy! You can do quite a lot with a program like GIMP. Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh