Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Meshon's Cobblestone Streets tutorial

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Tutorial [Award Winner] Meshon's Cobblestone Streets tutorial

So I've finally managed to put together a tutorial for the method I've started using to make cobblestone streets. There is an example in this forum thread: http://www.cartographersguild.com/vi...hbourhood.html. I couldn't get the file size down on the pdf, so I've put the pdf and the files I used (including Illustrator and Photoshop brushes and some Photoshop styles and patterns) up on Dropbox.

The tutorial pdf is here:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ne_Streets.pdf
    I've divided the additional files into three parts so that you don't have to download a pile of stuff you don't need:
    The example .psd file
    Photoshop brushes, patterns, and styles
    Illustrator brushes
    SVG files for InkScape
    The InkScape items are only a little bit useful, I will update with some better documentation and files for InkScape soon.

This tutorial was made when I used older versions of Photoshop and Illustrator, but I've included my settings in the pdf so hopefully GIMP users and users of newer Adobe software can get something out of it. I also converted my Illustrator brush files to SVG which I'm led to believe might make them more useable for Inkscape users.

I have never really produced an instructional document before, let alone a mapping tutorial, so I would be happy to hear feedback about the tutorial itself as well as (dare I hope) if you find it useable.

cheers,
    Meshon

Edit: I finally got the final part of the tutorial included. The link is the same but I've added a few pages at the end of the tutorial covering my method for getting moss to grow on the cobblestones.

I finally went back and reduced the file size of the pdf, so if you don't want to mess with DropBox you can just use the attached version of the tutorial document. I have also attached some of the brushes and textures I used, though the .psd file itself is too large to attach. Just a note: the quality of the images in this smaller .pdf is not great, but I think everything is still legible. The version on DropBox has clearer images.

MCS_tutorialStyles.asl.zip
    MCS_tutorialPatterns.pat.zip
    debris.abr.zip
    VectorBrushes.zip
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Meshons_Cobblestone_Streets_smaller.pdf 
Views:	880 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	55521
    Last edited by Meshon; 04-18-2015 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Updated tutorial

Guild Member

Thanks for posting this! I repped you and I'm excited to try this out when I have to make a close-up city map. I'm on GIMP and Inkscape, but I'm going to try to make it work for me.

Thanks man. I hope to learn something because i never can handle the tutorials hahaha.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Thanks very much! I'd be interested to hear if any of it translates to Inkscape and GIMP, or to find out if there's anything I can do with the additional files to make them play well with other applications. And I hope that you get at least something out of the tutorial.

cheers,
    Meshon

Guild Adept

Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    Thanks for posting this! I repped you and I'm excited to try this out when I have to make a close-up city map. I'm on GIMP and Inkscape, but I'm going to try to make it work for me.
    If you manage to come up with an adaptation, would you mind posting it?

Guild Adept

Quote Originally Posted by Meshon View Post
    So I've finally managed to put together a tutorial for the method I've started using to make cobblestone streets. <snip>

I have never really produced an instructional document before, let alone a mapping tutorial, so I would be happy to hear feedback about the tutorial itself as well as (dare I hope) if you find it useable.

cheers,
    Meshon
    I really like the way your cobblestone streets turned out. While I am on GIMP, I will do everything I can to adapt this to my use. Thank you very much for posting.

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by nolgroth View Post
    If you manage to come up with an adaptation, would you mind posting it?
    I would be happy to, but it probably won't be any time soon. It might be one of those projects that gets pushed off to my summer break.

The guild members will appreciate this for sure, thanks for adding to the library.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Great !! I use GIMP and am very excited to see if I can adapt this to that software. Thanks so much for sharing this.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

I know this old, but I just wanted to thank you for this. It really is an interesting approach. I had never thought about making a brush for streets. Reminds me of these interesting meditation circles I have seen. It would be interesting to take a celtic circle pattern and then use your brush technique to make the pattern into a road or meditation circle. Would look really nice in temples.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast