Thread: Issue With Layers In GIMP

Help Issue With Layers In GIMP

Hey all, first time poster in need of some assistance. I've been following the Hand-Drawn Mapping (for the Artistically Challenged) guide and everything was going fairly smoothly until I ran into an issue with the Layer Cleanup step. I delete the colored terrain layers, order the layers as mentioned, but when I show all the layers except rivers, base, and background this happens -- specifically when I hide the background:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maperror.png 
Views:	80 
Size:	321.3 KB 
ID:	72532

The mountains, hills, and trees brushes I placed on the map disappear along with the background. I can't figure out what I may be doing wrong for the life of me. Thanks in advance!

Blog Entries

let me look at the pdf
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=10655

the first thing is it is 5 years old

the gimp development team made VERY DRASTIC changes in the current 2.8 code ( and making more in the 2.9 DEVELOPMENT)
    this is in getting ready for the 3.0 release

5 years ago was the stable gimp 2.4
    2.6 started changes and 2.8 has even more

but in your case it is likely that you had some other layer highlighted as you worked

you need to have the layer you ARE working on highlighted

otherwise you will be working on a different layer
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

I tried that tutorial a while back and, as far as I can recall, it still works pretty well with Gimp 2.8. I doubt the software version is the problem.

Daxian, I suspect you've drawn on the wrong layer at some point. It's very easily done. Have you tried clicking the little Eye icon next to the layer name for each separate layer to make sure that what's supposed to be there is actually on that layer? If your trees disappear when you turn off the background, you might have drawn them on that later by mistake. Another possibility is that you've got some sort of layer blend like Multiply or Overlay set for your tree layer, and it needs something other than a transparent background to show up. If you make sure your layers are set for 'Normal' blend, does that help?

I can't remember every step of the tutorial unfortunately to be more precise with what might be wrong, but I hope you figure it out.

Hey guys thanks for the responses. I found out the problem was using Multiply mode as instructed on the layers, just like you mentioned ChickPea. For some reason that completely messes things up! I set them to normal and now when I click off the Background layer the other layers stay visible like in the tutorial.

Glad it was something simple. Layer blends are easy to change. Drawing on the wrong layer can be a bit more problematic.

Also, forgot to say, welcome to the Guild!

Yeah thank goodness it was something like that. And thanks!