Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I need a little advice and resource info

Wip I need a little advice and resource info

This is my world map (only smaller) that was my first attempt at cartography.

Unless I can get some good advice I will probably commission one made from this image.

I'm a Photoshop user with fair proficiency familiar with layers and abr brushes.

TIPS?!?

CRITIQUES?!?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pathagrian-Map-WEB.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	258.5 KB 
ID:	54032
    Last edited by Scot Harvest; 05-21-2013 at 06:58 PM.

It's not a bad map. What's the scale on the map (and for the purists, projection)? What styles do you really like? How are you unhappy with this map?

Along the lines of what Waldronate has said, it's a bit difficult to offer constructive criticism without knowing a bit more about what you are trying to achieve. However one recommendation I do have is to spend some time looking into the Photoshop tutorials on offer here. Depending on what style you are going for, you will no doubt find several tutorials which can help you achieve your goal.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Nice active forum. Didn't expect such a warm and rapid reply.

As for the map... No scale only concept of 30 day to cross the continent by horseback. Don't really want to lock in scale in miles or kilometres I was looking for an old slightly inaccurate ie rough looking map.

I will look up the PS tuts.

Thanks

Well just putting a parchment background and a Rose compass make a HUGE difference.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pathagrian-Map-WEB.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	229.2 KB 
ID:	54174
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein

Next step is to make the

GREY area look like open plains,

GREEN area like forest,

YELLOW area like desert

and BROWN area (already with really bad mountain texture) look like mountains.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    It's not a bad map. What's the scale on the map (and for the purists, projection)? What styles do you really like? How are you unhappy with this map?

Yup, unhappy with this map. I like the GRITTY hand painted look... I think I rushed this.

What do you mean when you say "the purists, projection"?
    Albert Einstein

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

I believe that waldornate is referring to a) "purists" - those who seem to always refer to their maps by the type of projection used to show the map , and b) "projection" - the method used to represent a spherical globe on a flat 2d surface (and I DO expect the "purists" to put me in my place by giving a PROPER definition of "projection") of which there are many. My understanding (limited at best) is that ALL projections have distortion to some extent or another, but some are worse that others. To the "non-purist" projection is the LAST thing to concern ourselves with.....

I will now run and hide in my cave before I get overrun by the stampede coming to teach me the error of my ways

BTW, I like the layout of the map, but I am not too sure what some of your mountain sourced rivers are doing.....they seem to be either staying in the mountains or traveling through them....
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

I appreciate you putting yourself in the line of fire in order to shed some light.....

READY....AIM.....

Quote Originally Posted by Korash View Post
    I believe that waldornate is referring to a) "purists" - those who seem to always refer to their maps by the type of projection used to show the map , and b) "projection" - the method used to represent a spherical globe on a flat 2d surface (and I DO expect the "purists" to put me in my place by giving a PROPER definition of "projection") of which there are many. My understanding (limited at best) is that ALL projections have distortion to some extent or another, but some are worse that others. To the "non-purist" projection is the LAST thing to concern ourselves with.....

I will now run and hide in my cave before I get overrun by the stampede coming to teach me the error of my ways

BTW, I like the layout of the map, but I am not too sure what some of your mountain sourced rivers are doing.....they seem to be either staying in the mountains or traveling through them....
    Albert Einstein

[Korash described what I was suggesting very well.

Sometimes I get a little carried away and do things I probably shouldn't. Applying the techniques described in the tutorial attched to http://www.cartographersguild.com/ma...und-lands.html I added a little bit of landscape and river texture to that last map to see how it looked. It's an interesting variation on the idea, but probably not quite what you're after.
    ATTACH=CONFIG]54180[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Test.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	175.9 KB 
ID:	54180  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast