Thread: Hallo

Default Hallo

Hi all, kniiight here. I'm a younger guy quite new to cartography. I've only just started working on a map for a fantasy that I'm writing, but I can tell this is something I'm going to run with for a while. I've never really tried to draw a map before, but I have had a fair amount of experience drawing mazes (what do you call somebody who draws mazes? a labrynthographer?), so I hope that might translate to my map drawing a bit.

Unfortunately, I'm by nobody's standards an artist and I'm currently just using a cheap tablet, GIMP, and MyPaint. That said, I could use all the advice I can get regarding map creation, because I've got some big ideas. I've been looking around the net for tuts on map drawing and it seems that Cartographer's Guild is pretty resource-rich, with a friendly (and incredibly talented) community. I look forward to meeting you all.

-- kniiight

P.S. Oh, and keep an eye out for the obligatory WIP I'll be posting within the next few days.

Welcome to the Guild kniiight. Yup, this is a friendly community alright. If you haven't already found it by now, check out the tutorials sub-forum. There are lots of tutorials for GIMP there that will help you get your feet wet. I'll be on the lookout for your WIP.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Hi Arsheesh, thanks for the warm welcome. I have checked out the tutorials forum, and it looks very promising. I can't wait to get started implementing some of the techniques explained there! I really like your map style, by the way. How long does it take you to make a map on average?

Oh, and is your name from Chronicles of Narnia, by any chance? :>

Hi Kniiight. I find that the time it takes me to do a map in this style varies based upon the size of the map, but for a world map of say 2500x5000px, following only the steps in my tutorial, I'd say it takes me on average 10 hours give or take to produce a map. Of course it will likely take longer for you since you are unfamiliar with the steps. Oh and yes, you are spot on. I chose my user name because it's the email address name I've used for years. I chose this name originally after switching to yahoo mail from hotmail and getting fed up with the fact that all of the names I wanted to use had already been taken. I had been reading A Horse and His boy at the time and just out of curiosity tried the name "Arsheesh" and it took. I decided to stick with it and have been using it ever since.