Thread: Unnamed fantasy map (WIP)

Default Unnamed fantasy map (WIP)

This is an as-of-yet unnamed map of a Pangea-like world for a fantasy story that I'm working on. I just started it recently, but it's seen several different incarnations, all of which have the same basic layout. This one has been done (so far) fully in MyPaint, with a cheap tablet. I plan on starting the coloring very shortly, but I'm still not quite sure how to go about that. After that's done, I'll likely add forests and other details, and then bring it into GIMP to add titles and graphics.

I'm still unsure about the rivers. I think that I'll probably get rid of a few as some of them don't make a lot of sense. Also, the southern part of the continent is supposed to be a desert, hence the general lack of distinctive features.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map_2.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	538.1 KB 
ID:	54057  

Guild Adept

First off, the critiques. Rivers - check over in the Tutorials section for a guide to placing rivers. Also, not sure if it is intentional or not, but all of your mountains sort of lean left.

Now the compliment, cause I like to leave a message on a positive note. I love the land shape and general concept for the map. I really want to see you develop this and post a final version. I'll be looking for updates. Welcome to the guild.

Welcome! You have a good eye for jittering a convincing variety of coastlines into place. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

As far as leaning mountains I'm imagining an outlandish rationale... Maybe your world had ReALLY strong prevailing winds in the past :-). They look nice - props for drawing them all... Doing six to ten and using as brushes is easier but runs the rush of looking repetitive. I'll echo the recommendation for the How To Get Your Rivers in the Right Place tutorial - your plausibility will take a good jump when you get water flowing downhill realistically.

Are you pleased with MyPaint? There are really capable apps available for free or cheap that are hugely capable, and which could simplify your further progress with this.

Thanks for the comments, guys! I'll definitely check out the river tutorial and I think I'm going to redraw all the mountains (on paper, then scan them in and create a brush from them).

nolgroth: Haha, thanks for the critiques and the comments. I appreciate the interest. And nice catch about the mountains.

jbgibson: Thanks! As far as the mountains... perhaps they're all drunk? I think MyPaint is pretty good. I don't like GIMP at all, though. Perhaps that's just because I'm not used to it, though... you said there are other apps, though. Could you name a few?

I switched to Photoshop because I felt that MyPaint was inadequate for the job. I also drew some mountains on paper following a helpful tutorial by Ironmetal250, scanned them in, placed them, and shaded them a bit as per Gidde's tutorial. Here's the result:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	773.9 KB 
ID:	54127