Thread: WIP -- Unnamed Continent

Wip WIP -- Unnamed Continent

I am new to this mapping thing, so I started by working through some of tutorials on the site. I really liked the look of Ascension's Atlas Style maps, so I decided to use that style for a map of a fictional continent that I came up with as a setting for adventure stories that I plan to write for my kids to read.

I use GIMP so I used Giide's GIMP translation of Ascension's tutorial. This is what I have so far.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	adventure_map.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	54058

I am not quite happy with the mountains in the middle of the continent. I would like more of an elongated, continental divide look. I may mess around with them a little more. I may also mess around with the continental shelf to make it more irregular.

I have the major rivers in place, but I still need cities, nations, etc. Plus I have to come up with names for everything. I may have my kids do that part.

That looks good so far. I especially like the coloring and terrain on that bottom continent.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Wip Second version

I kept the same rough continental shape, but I have redone the mountains to make them more extensive. I like it a lot better. Now there are a couple of river valleys with steep sides that make for interesting story possibilities.

I also changed the land color gradient so that the arctic region is smaller and the desert region is larger, and I increased the size of the continental shelf and made it irregular to more accurately mimic reality.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	adventure_map2.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	54074