Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Ring of Kryll - Fantasy map

As always, lovely work Max!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Another excellent map. I was able to witness the WIP closely and discussed with -Max- a lot about this map, but am Still very impressed by the time it took him to do such a well made map. I cant wait to see more maps comming from him.

What impressed me most is his skillfull implementation of the Shields and heraldic elements which blended perfectly into the map without overcowding them with elements!

Guild Adept Facebook Connected aquarits's Avatar

yes, it is really a amazing work, i suggest you make a annex talking about the houses wut really make we wonder wut is happening in this place cant rep atm, but i gave my like

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzkreuz View Post
    What impressed me most is his skillfull implementation of the Shields and heraldic elements which blended perfectly into the map without overcowding them with elements!
    btw i see ppl talking about heraldic and tried search about it, just found that is something like a science about the build of shields. But still don't understand how it is implemented in the maps.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Its about the symbolics, forms of images and their interpretation and what belongs to which noble houses.
    I am interested in this kind of Icons seeing them lately a lot like on Vorro's maps and realised their importances for Fantasy Maps simulating an authentic Medieval feel.

You mean that shields will say what every house have like a main feature? Like a hammer says craft, cross religion, candle academics?

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

As far as I know, shields arms use to show the identity of the bearer of the arms and also his lineage. They could evolved with time passing, showing some personnal/political/familial changes like political/familial alliances, inheritance, title of honor. Humans always used signs and symbols to show their cultural/familial/political lineage (like tatoos, flags, signatures, sigils - mostly derivated from coat of arms at the first and so and in modern eras, flags and even logos...) By the way, there's only a fews things known about the meanings of symbols used on medieval shields.
    So yes, I think heraldic is an interesting thing on map because you can show more or less things with them, adding nice design/colors details with it, along with some major informations about the background/settings of the aread depicted without crowding it with walls of texts. Maps are using a lot of symbolic/iconic stuff to spread informations so heraldic can just be used as a consistent part on them. Fantasy also gives the opportunity to create some nice evocative designs on heraldic that easily gives.
    Oh and thanks you for the comments guys, much appreciated!

hell yes, but i suppose that some ppl dont know right about it, sometimes using absolute complex forms in shields wut make the heraldic wrong.
    I saw that most part of times need to use simple singles like a sword, a small plant or a animal representing the region, in some specific situation uses different symbols if need to represent a academic group or religion group.

In Krylll specific we can see all the 10 different symbols wut tnx to the initial description makes all sense, maybe are not army houses or the army is more directed/ based in other culture.

That is why we are talking, and not for nothing suppose that we need something to clarify the things about the houses like a new project

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aquarits View Post
    hell yes, but i suppose that some ppl dont know right about it, sometimes using absolute complex forms in shields wut make the heraldic wrong.
    I saw that most part of times need to use simple singles like a sword, a small plant or a animal representing the region, in some specific situation uses different symbols if need to represent a academic group or religion group.
    That's indeed one of the first rule of the heraldry: shields have to be plain, consistent and not over loaded ( bu this rule has sometimes been broken over the eras ) but I guess that once you got the "spirit" of it, you can do many things with it in a fantasy setting.

Quote Originally Posted by aquarits View Post
    In Krylll specific we can see all the 10 different symbols wut tnx to the initial description makes all sense, maybe are not army houses or the army is more directed/ based in other culture.

That is why we are talking, and not for nothing suppose that we need something to clarify the things about the houses like a new project
    I'm not especially a world builder and most of the time, the very few settings ideas just come while mapping. Means that I don't start with a world to create a map but make a map to create the world So I'll let you with your frustration (or your imagination) with the Houses of Kryll since I'm already on another project

just bugin you, a good map just arouse curiosity!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast