Thread: Need some help to get my map ready

Help Need some help to get my map ready

Hi, i was wondering what to do and change to get my map ready and make it look good. This is where im now. I didnt clean it, and one mountain need to color, there also be more forests etc. Please, help

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Iltanith.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	2.08 MB 
ID:	54111

Maybe a rose compass and something to show scale (miles, leagues, kilometers, cubits...)

A boarder would give it that finished look

I also don't see any names. Title the map and give some of the features names?
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein

Guild Adept Facebook Connected aquarits's Avatar

first i liked your mountains and the lines under water.

I guess that you need to use more different patterns for your trees grass and other features. Here have a lots of tutos to do it, but i just remember something about mountains in my threat ( saying about mountains but you can use for trees easily) http://www.cartographersguild.com/ge...tml#post203407

Scot; I have compass and scalething, and bourders are coming also Names etc. are coming too, later. Just need help with that how map looks good.. I have countrynames and logos done, u can see them in my folder if u like to see them.

Aquarits; Thanks, so i have done something almoust right I will take a look about that that tut..

What do you mean ALMOST RIGHT?!? Your map looks AWESOME and may need a little tweaking to make it just the way you want.

Carry on!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyaarmi View Post
    Scot; I have compass and scalething, and bourders are coming also Names etc. are coming too, later. Just need help with that how map looks good.. I have countrynames and logos done, u can see them in my folder if u like to see them.

Aquarits; Thanks, so i have done something almoust right I will take a look about that that tut..
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein

Hi Kayami,

I've moved this post to the Maps WIP section (since that it what it is). Really good start on your map. I like the sea pattern and is that Ramah's mountain brushset? Looks good.

Here is what I would suggest to improve the map a bit:

1. Forests and swamps / fields / desert etc. You can see the repeating texture which does not look natural. Try to mix up the textures a bit more. If you only have the one texture using a clone stamp can help a bit to get some variation and break up the repeating patterns.

2. The colour scheme is very loud and over saturated. It's a quesiton of individual desire but I think maybe muting the colours might be an idea.

3. The lake texture is very overpowering, maybe make it like the sea texture?

I've taken the liberty of doing some very quick adjustments so you can see what I mean. I've used the clone stamp tool to mix up the big forest texture in the middle so it doesn't look so regular., I've covered the entire image with a parchment texture on a low opacity to help tie the colours together and I've punched out the lakes. Also I've pulled back the saturation of the whole image a little. Also did a second one with a perspective distortion with might work better with the mountains at this scale. All of these are just ideas for you to play with.

Enjoy and thanks for posting your map!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kayami.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	54265   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kayami.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	54264  

ravells; Aaaw, very big thank you! This is very helpfull.. (I can almoust speak english :/ ). I really like those changes what u did.. And thanks that u make me pics so i can really understand that what u mean. Ill try to make changes. I think it's Ramah's, mayby.

Mmmm.. Maps WIP? sorry :/

I did try stamp, but i just dont get it how to use it xD I got chaos forest, dark and lots of trees. It's kind a ok, if u dont look it too close .. mmh.. I have my map psd so i cant do even all stamp what i want. Or i just dont know how. But but, ill just try more. Or ill delete the forests and start again..
    Last edited by Kyaarmi; 05-06-2013 at 07:44 AM.

LOL, my fault I meant to transfer this to a different part of the site. Done now for you.

So much of this is just practice and playing around. If you want a really great way to do beautiful forests, do a search on 'The Tree Thing' on this site. It is a program written by Ramah (the same guy who did your mountains!) which automatically puts trees into your map.