Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: *WIP* Why did it have to be snakes? Aka, the Yuan-Ti temple

Guild Adept Facebook Connected

Default *WIP* Why did it have to be snakes? Aka, the Yuan-Ti temple

It's a abandoned temple on a desert island. Surrounded by thick jungles and taken over by a vile serpent cult. It is a promise of untold riches and even greater danger. But, more than that, it is adventure, whispering in the hears of every would be adventurers!

I started working on a project for NathanC and here is the top floor so far...

The original plan is Nathan's and, while there is not too many of them yet, the furniture (and in particular the really cool "Snake pool") come from Dundjinni...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yuan-ti temple.png 
Views:	659 
Size:	4.19 MB 
ID:	54122

As usual, I would appreciate any advice and recommendation and, in particular, I'd like to hear Nathan's opinion about whereas the project is going in the direction he wants...

Guild Member

Nice reference.

I love the engraved snake in the lower right room.

So is the story then that the cult made the engraving after they took over the temple? If so, do they attach particular significance to that room?

* Shrug*
    It is one of the priest's private quarters...

I am working on somebody else's plan so, I don't necessarily have the full background story for this place, but I had initially put the engraving at the bottom of the main room. Then I found the snake pool (the original plan calls for w pool there) and decided it was just to perfect a fit to pass on... I can imagine players jumping on the snake from the nearby balcony and sliding their way down swashbuckler style...
    But I liked the engraving too and wanted to use it...

Basically, at this point, I throw everything cool at the wall and see what sticks/ what the coauthor thinks is worth keeping.
    Last edited by Simon33600; 05-02-2013 at 06:04 AM.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected NathanC's Avatar

Coming along nicely, think the huge snake statue/fountain is a great touch and believe me my players will be jumping all over that and thanking you for it..

Let me give you some background on the Temple:

The Yuan-ti as a whole has not been seen in the world since 800AD (game time it's about 1900 years after this temple was built) . The Serpents, built temples to a demon serpent known as Slas. The temple you are creating is the first and most holiest temple the Yuan-ti build to Slas, it was here that the Yuan-ti first made contact with their god, and began to wage war against the other creatures of the world.

The first Floor:
    This floor of temple is the living quarters. The two roundish side rooms was shared by 2 serpent priests each. the room directly behind the balcony is the high priest's room. The hexagon shaped room is a place to take meals. the small chamber off the the left of the balcony is a room containing many holy objects used in the worship of Slas. The upper most room is a hidden room, that contains various trinkets that the high priest keep for himself from raids and sacrifices. The Balcony is where many sacrifices too place, there is an altar there covered in dried blood.

The 2nd floor:
    This is not on the map yet but it contains an armory, slave pens (where a human has dug his way out of), a library, a laboratory, and an breeding pit. There is a secret entrance to a room one floor down that contains a portal to another temple.

In the 61st year of the third age of the world, and wizard by the name Kelack discovered the temple with a group of adventurers, he an many others studied what they found, specifically scrolls referencing Slas and the sacrifices and experiments they did in the gods name. After a member of his research team was attacked, and nearly killed, Kelack sealed the temple, to keep others (and his new found knowledge) safe. The temple was never searched fully, as the breeding pits were never discovered. In these pits thousands of Yuan-ti eggs lay waiting to hatch.

Ok... The next floor was a bit tougher. Partly because the scan was not as good (the vertical squares were not really visible and I had to guess a bit); partly because the building was more complex in shape and a bit confusing at time. So, I took a few liberties and it is not as faithful a rendition.

What do you think of it Nathan? I will probably need to rework the dirt texture in the tunnel, and I still need to add the stairs and work on the secret passage.

Also, what kind of furniture do you want? I vote for simple and kinda minimal to suggest function, in order not to cluter the map too much...

Anyway, here is the map:

Name:	Yuan-ti temple- Lower floor.png 
Views:	463 
Size:	4.02 MB 
ID:	54211

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected NathanC's Avatar

Looking good, is there a way the walls in the room north east from the snake fountain, could look a little thicker, of not it's cool.

As far as furniture, I agree, just enough so you can know which room is which. I found some decent lab table here on the dundjinni forum

the left hand section of the lower right room should be a caged area on big cell basically that opens along the creates a wall. so like a pile of straw in that ares, where prisoners can. maybe with a table for the guards adjacent from the cell door.

The library (the upper most large room) could have a few broken bookcases, and at least one that's still standing. it's going to be an encounter room so some good cover for a bow would be an alright touch.

the armory (room with the thin walls) could have a few weapon racks thrown up against the walls, mostly empty, I have a bow that the party is going to find in there so maybe a table on the southern most wall i'll pop the bow icon on that in D20pro so they can pick it up.

It's looking really good Simon thank you for doing this.

Hello;

Yes, I love Dundjinni myself and already have a fair amount of stuff from there on my hard drive.

I have a couple of broken bookselves from this and this thread.
    Dundjinni also have a fair amount of bookpiles that I could place there.

I also have a this fence that I think will work fine to define the slave pen: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	prison_door2_sc.png 
Views:	6063 
Size:	148.4 KB 
ID:	54289

And here is what I found for the straw.

Finally, thickening walls should be half a minute job. No problem, but I am not quite sure what room you are talking about. Are you talking about the alcove just left from the armory?

Map is looking good.
    Years ago I made a Yuan-ti temple and I used that same snake floor engraving.

Here are a couple snake related objects you might find useful. They are from DundJinni Forums, not my own work.

Name:	Boa_Bones_2.png 
Views:	2714 
Size:	325.9 KB 
ID:	54292Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cobra_golden_RMA.png 
Views:	2126 
Size:	199.5 KB 
ID:	54293Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cobra_SnakeStatue_SB.png 
Views:	5971 
Size:	113.0 KB 
ID:	54294

Cool! I had found the thread with the snake on the right, but I don't remember the golden one being there... It actually looks even better and statue-like.

And the skeleton... the skeleton... is awesome beyond words!

Thanks a lot!

Lets see what else I can find.

Name:	E2C_cage.png 
Views:	3955 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	54302Name:  35D_birdcage_bottom.png
Views: 2016
Size:  69.2 KBName:  D4D_birdcage_top.png
Views: 1693
Size:  72.0 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	mot232-Snake-Emblem.png 
Views:	5452 
Size:	265.9 KB 
ID:	54305Name:  bracelet1ancient-greek_bg.png
Views: 1469
Size:  7.6 KBName:  Ceremonial Bowl-Snake3_bg.png
Views: 2258
Size:  43.8 KBName:  Ivory-Snake_bg.png
Views: 2258
Size:  30.7 KB

The round cage is in two parts so you can put whatever you want inside it.

And here are some cage parts;
    Name:  cageclosedoor.png
Views: 1890
Size:  17.2 KBName:  cageface.png
Views: 2135
Size:  10.9 KBName:  cageopendoor.png
Views: 1426
Size:  21.3 KB

And some snake eggs

Name:	nest_multiple.png 
Views:	1196 
Size:	124.8 KB 
ID:	54312Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nest_scales.png 
Views:	202 
Size:	137.1 KB 
ID:	54313Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nest_empty.png 
Views:	241 
Size:	143.6 KB 
ID:	54314
    Last edited by Bogie; 05-06-2013 at 11:57 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast