Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update of a theatre map

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected anstett's Avatar

Post Update of a theatre map

I am in need for a theatre for an adventure I will be running this fall.

I have the adventure and some scanned pen and ink drawings that I would like someone to turn into better maps that I can use in my VTT.

The time frame is far enough out there should not be a problem for anyone.

Type & Number of maps:
    The theater concept is complete so tracing the layout and adding appropriate fill and textures is really all that is required.
    There are six drawings total although half are for open area seating or the stage area.

Technical:
    300 dpi minimum. Jpg, tiff, or png files
    Full color

Copyright:
    Remains with cartographer I will only be using this for my personal game. I encourage posting a work in progress thread so that the Guild can see the work under way.

Deadline:
    I would like to have this wrapped up sometime in August if possible but I am flexible on that time frame as this adventure will be run sometime in the fall or later.

Payment:
    I would like to budget $25 US for this project

Contact

BOB through the boards here or my site:
    Dragonslayers Society Home Page
    Dragonslayers Society | Profiles / BOB
    We do not stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing.

www.dragonslayers-society.org

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Hi, maybe showing some of your sketches would help anyone to see what you are looking for.

Thanks for the comment Max.

I have the scans of an old PDF to use as a reference for the artist.

I hestitate to post them here because I want someone to be inspired more on doing textures of wood, chairs/benches scafolding of the inside of a theater rather than having to come up with floorplans.

BOB

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

I know I can't commit to this right now, but the idea of creating the materials for a theatre is really appealing. A little more detail might help people decide if it's something they want to try out. I'm thinking specifically of a list of objects you'd be looking for, as well as brief descriptions of the spaces to be mapped and the textures needed for them. Also the size would be useful to know. You mentioned six drawings, so would that be six battlemaps, or one large battlemap? What is the final pixel size you'd be after? In short, how much space will the mapper need to fill?

Also, just to be clear, is this a theatre in a fantasy setting? Are you thinking the original Globe theatre in terms of time period, something more ancient, or more modern?

I hope my questions don't sound picky, I really like the sound of this and will keep watching this thread in case I find some time.

cheers,
    Meshon
    Last edited by Meshon; 05-01-2013 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Added a question

Great questions!

Yes it is a fantasy setting sort of Globe theater type of building.

It would be six separate but simple drawings. Right now the maps show the outline of walls, seating areas, etc.

Each of the six maps would show a different section of the theater. The overall size is roughly 150 foot by 300 foot.

They are all interiors of a wooden building with various types of seating or simply open stage area. I am looking for the contrasts and various textures that will make it more interesting than if I just draw a large brown square and call it a stage.

No extra furnishing are required because I want to be able to move the set pieces around on stage, drop sandbags on players (er their characters ) pull curtains closed etc.

I have a fully fleshed out adventure that just needs a bit of eye candy on the screen for the players to get into the mood.

BOB

keep firing away on questions

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

What map's size are you looking for?

Hi there anstett - I think I will be able to assist you in this map if you want. You can see examples of my other maps in the links in my signature. If several people are interested, perhaps we can all collaborate together to make the various theatre elements and you could pay your proposed fee directly to the Guild as a donation? Just a suggestion - I think it could be fun.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jacktannery View Post
    Hi there anstett - I think I will be able to assist you in this map if you want. You can see examples of my other maps in the links in my signature. If several people are interested, perhaps we can all collaborate together to make the various theatre elements and you could pay your proposed fee directly to the Guild as a donation? Just a suggestion - I think it could be fun.
    This is a great idea! I would definitely be up for contributing bits and pieces as time permits, and making the fee into a donation to the Cartographer's Guild is perfect if anstett is willing. My time is sketchy so I don't want to take on the project by myself but making it into a community project is great in so many ways.

cheers,
    Meshon
    Last edited by Meshon; 05-01-2013 at 04:34 PM. Reason: deleted the double salutation (facepalm)

Pauses dramatically.

I get to have Jacktannery AND Meshon both work on a project for me along with the full talent of the Guild?

I would donate to the guild anyway so that would be great!

As I said earlier the time frame on this is very open for me and I do agree that having a building such as this would be a nice addition to any game.

And those who want to make or find the finishing touches like props etc can feel free to contribute as well that way.

BOB

Guild Adept Facebook Connected

That sounds like a really cool project!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast