Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Theatre Project

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Okay, fixed the shadows on the rug and I modified the front entryway. To be honest I could use some advice. I think you're using GIMP but just a technical explanation of what you did to Bogie's chairs to get the colour right would be great. Desaturation? Hue shift? I think the same technique would work on the curtains too, though I think I should look around for some more curtain styles. I tried cutting out some of the chairs from the ones you made for the ground floor but wasn't having too much luck, but if you share your secrets I could put some chairs up along the balcony railing.

I will also hunt up (or make) some doors. Any suggestions for lamps? Actually I bet I can find some in Bogie's mapping elements thread...

cheers,
    Meshon

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	theatreMainFloorWorking.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	2.81 MB 
ID:	55621

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	theatre-basement.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	55622Also, what shall we do with the basement? This is what I've got so far, though I'm not sure about the floor, maybe it should be dirt or stone? And since we're adjusting the layout a little, we might need to add some access between the main basement and the under-stage area, and possibly stairs from backstage of the main level down to the basement as well. Any ideas?

Simon! Thank you so much for taking over the balconies, they are looking great!

cheers,
    Meshon

Edit: Doh! Forgot to attach. And I thought I only did that with emails...

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected anstett's Avatar

Always impressed by your work everyone.

For the basement I would think that because this is a wooden theatre that it would have a dirt floor basement for the most part. Only if you think there needs to be a small stone pier for the footings to hold up the upper floors.

I am picturing it being rebuilt over the years as various fires, etc cause problems so the investment in stone flooring in the basement. might be too much.

Maybe a board or two thrown out haphazard like as a walk way sort of thing?

BOB
    We do not stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing.

www.dragonslayers-society.org

Curtain colour (for gimp - there are numerous methods this is just the easiest) - duplicate the curtain layer and place it just above curtains and rename it 'curtain hue' ; make sure that any shadowing is removed on this new layer, and anything else you don't want to change colour not included ; select all (alpha to selection) on 'curtain hue' layer and fill selection with your desired final hue ; change layer type to 'hue' ; adjust brightness/contrast/saturation of underlying curtain layer as required. If you want me to do this just post up your curtains as .pngs but make sure to remove all shadowing first.

Entrances much better. I can make you a nice decorative door if you like. It needs to have blue and gold and white and black in it and be very baroque.

Lamps - careful here. Have a look at streetlamps or modern map elements for these, and we will change their colour to gold (which usually also involves changing the colour CURVE to make that metallic glint). Fantasy-type lamps will not look good here I suspect.

Basement plan - I think should be heavily revised to remove all those tiny crappy rooms (which are un-playable with) and make it more interesting overall. Very much a fan of idea of linking up the two basement areas (secret passage!) that has a side route leading into the city sewers and a rat-infested ancient dungeon.

Basement - I disagree with anstett the maps are already brown enough so we should use stone for the basement (greyish-blue) not dirt, for aesthetic reasons. This part can have fantasy-type lamps with goldy-orange flames.

Sorry for the disappearance! I'm currently on a family trip involving a lot of places with no internet connection, currently only satellite. I'm still hoping to get a bit more work done on this theatre before August, but it will still be a week or so before I'm back.

cheers,
    Meshon

I also might have time now to do some work on the basement.

This is fantastic! I know it isn't finished yet but I have to say I cannot wait to use even the non-finished maps in my campaign.

Great - yeah we all got a bit sidetracked, but the main core is there and quite good.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected anstett's Avatar

Yes there was some very nice work put in on this.

BOB
    We do not stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing.

www.dragonslayers-society.org

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011