Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Theatre Project

Default Theatre Project

This is a community guild project to build a fantasy-type 'globe theatre' (request thread here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/ma...eatre-map.html).

Anstett has the basic floor plans (divided into six maps) and layout of the theatre, and myself, Meshon, and whoever else would like to assist will use this thread to make the objects (chairs; curtains; stages; open seating; sandbags? etc.) and textures (mostly wood I guess).

The entire theatre measures 300 feet by 150 feet, so each of the six maps will measure c. 100 feet square (ie 20 five-foot grid-squares across). At 100ppi this means each of the six maps measures 2000x2000 pixels. The scale for all objects and textures is thus 1 foot = 20 pixels; 5 feet (1 gridsquare) = 100 pixels = 1 inch when printed out.

In any case, anyone can contribute here, and all images uploaded in this thread can be used by anyone for NON-COMMERCIAL USE ONLY.

Step one is for Anstett to upload here his basic floorplans of the theatre.
    Last edited by Jacktannery; 05-02-2013 at 06:34 AM.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected anstett's Avatar

I mentioned on the previous thread that the DPI/size request was just copying from other works for hire posts. I defer to the experts on proper map and file sizes.

I have emailed the original drawings to Jack so he can chose which is the best way to start this off.

BOB
    We do not stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing.

www.dragonslayers-society.org

Anstett's maps from an old dungeon magazine apparently; Anstett maybe you can look up the name of the original arist so that we can credit them - I'm sure they won't mind that we are posting these up here since we are attempting a fan-homage of their work.

Later on today, when I have time, I will post some ideas for breaking this up into six sensible encounter maps as described in post 1.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Backstage levels.JPG 
Views:	934 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	54153 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Box seats and basement.JPG 
Views:	568 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	54154 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ceiling Storage.JPG 
Views:	337 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	54155 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Overall layout.JPG 
Views:	1573 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	54156 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Side view.JPG 
Views:	176 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	54157 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Upper seating level.JPG 
Views:	495 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	54158
    Last edited by Jacktannery; 05-02-2013 at 06:35 AM.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

this is great! i love proper building plan maps and theatres hav a very unique layout that i think looks great. this is very interesting to see

I tried to establish the scale of the main theatre map. I have added this blue 5-foot grid for clarity.

The key thing about the theatre is that it is symetrical. This means that we only need to make 50% of it, and then mirror our images for the other half. Also, many of the stories have lots of open-air space so again this helps to make it easier.

For the basic ground floor layout, I see us needing to create a map of 5,000 pixels long and 1,600 pixels wide, as per the red area on the image below. This should be doable in one map or perhaps in two half-maps. Lets call it two 2,500x1,600 pix maps.

Name:	Scaled layout.JPG 
Views:	838 
Size:	229.0 KB 
ID:	54159

After this base is done, we can then create the basement - two more maps of the same size that we again can mirror.

Then the upper floors: three of these in total I think. This makes six more maps. Thus we need 10 maps in total. Since this is a good bit more than anticipated, I propose we just deal with the three most important seating floors first, and then later on if we want to, we can add in the roof storage and basment.

So, to conclude:

1. two 5000x1600px maps ground floor theatre & main stage.
    2. two 5000x1600px maps upper seating level & second backstage level
    3. two 5000x1600px maps box seating & third backstage level

Did I get those the right way around? Or are boxes supposed to be lower than the upper seating?

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected anstett's Avatar

This looks great.

From what I have seen in all the larger wooden buildings I have looked at in books etc. the ground floor would have been flat with the center there having chairs as you show. Then there is the box seating with the curtains one level up. The image I had was a bowl of long wooden benches fixed in place like modern bleacher seating at a local school.

I think the scale of the building looks very nice as you have it there.

The original inspiration for my adventure comes from Legerdemain by Matthew Michael Patrick Schutt, in Dungeon #39 (Jan/Feb 1992) with artwork by Paul Jaquays. edit found that person's website: http://www.jaquays.com

BOB

Additional information:

I had some contact with the artist and found that she did the cover art and interior but not the cartography for that issue

The person who did is Diesel and here is his website as well:
    http://shadowcastings.samsbiz.com//?...&creatorid=510
    Last edited by anstett; 05-02-2013 at 04:37 PM. Reason: add website link
    We do not stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing.

www.dragonslayers-society.org

Supercaptain made a superb stage in 2009 using dragonwolf's renders of some curtains here Dundjinni Mapping Software - Forums: AR’’curtains and stage . I think we should reuse these (no point reinventing the wheel...).

As for the ground floor main part of the seating, I propose we use some nice red chairs Bogie uploaded - the ones I am thinking of are similar to the blue one in this post http://www.cartographersguild.com/ma...tml#post191069 and Bogie uploaded a series of slightly different versions in red. I'll have to ask Bogie about them.

In my opinion, the most difficult of the ground floor map will be the tiered seating. This should be made of wood. Construction will involve bending a planks-of-wood texture around in the curve, then overlaying tiers of shadow. The bending of textures in this way is very difficult to do - at least in Gimp. Or perhaps we can just use some pews Bogie uploaded previously in his map elements tread and use those arranged end to end along the tiers?

Right, I have re-examined you maps and I have discovered something important: the image labelled 'box seats and basements' does not show box seats: instead it shows a basement level. The image labelled 'upper seating level' shows the box seats. Thus the plan revised:

1. two 5000x1600px maps ground floor theatre & main stage.
    2. two 5000x1600px maps upper seating level (boxes & balcony) & second backstage level
    3. two 5000x1600px basement level and underworld

----------

EDIT

I also found this link - possible useful inspiration. http://paizo.com/products/btpy8otq?G...lipMat-Theater
    Last edited by Jacktannery; 05-02-2013 at 09:16 AM.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

This looks like an interesting Project. But I dont realy know how I could contribute so I am just stick to observe it till I got an Idea.

Ok here I put together in fifteen minutes Bogie's lovely chairs (thanks Bogie!), Supercaptain's stage, Dragonwolfe's curtain, some benches I assembled from photos of bits of wood (some of which may have been taken by Bogie) and a nice wood texture. This is just to give us something to discuss. Like I said above, I think the tiered seating is going to be the biggest challenge on this map. We need a plan for that.

Name:	Theatre 1.jpg 
Views:	364 
Size:	2.03 MB 
ID:	54163

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast