Northern Allod of Namar
    -WIP-

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NorthernAllodWIP.png 
Views:	316 
Size:	3.80 MB 
ID:	54144
    Last Update 05/02/2013 : 3:01 AM

Hey everyone. Here is something I made after coming across this website in search of DND help! I ended up starting to whip up a Pathfinder campaign with my friends, would you believe it? - ANYWAY! This is so far my work contains some of the northern portion of the map which is much larger. The actual image scale is 5000x10000:300 but I couldnt upload that here.

I would love any comments or constructive critique on what i've done so far!
    Thank you!

P.S.
    I will try to keep this post updated when theres major changes done!

P.S.S.
    This is my first ever map! Go easy on me pleasee!

Well Garmagr I'd say you are off to a wonderful start. You've done a fantastic job on those mountains and hills, and the trees look great as well (though they are a bit too sparse in my opinion, you may wish to add more of them to fill out the forests a bit more). My only real bit of constructive criticism is that the colors in this map are so muted that it's hard to make out some of the great detail that you've invested into the map. Perhaps if you added a dash more dark and light to add contrast to the map it would help these details to pop out. In addition, you may already have plans to do something with the sea, but if not, as it stands the solid blue color is a bit bland and unexciting. You might try to vary it up a bit more, e.g. by adding shallow water and/or waves. Otherwise, nice first map!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

ooh thats a pretty one! very nice.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Nice job. The mountains are a bit repetitive though but well Raven's set is kind of small. Have some rep to motivate you keeping the good job

Wow, a truly awesome first map. Congrats.

Now, as customary for me , i will ask for the whole map. Show us the rest of your world!

Oh and have some Rep.!
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Thanks for the feedback guys.
    @ - Max -
    I actually did start with the brush set for the mountains and trees but I found out that I will eventually have to create my own which I did with the mushroom biomass portion.
    I am thinking about drawing a few mountains in to replace some of the repetitive portions of the map- maybe you can mark the areas you found most repetitive??

@ Arsheesh
    I'm sort of going for this de-saturated depressing feel with the coloration- though if that's not what you mean with the colors can you explain? Are you talking about the matte beige landmass color I'm using currently? - I plan on going over that with some details once I'm done placing all the details of the map down.
    As for the sea portion I was going to get to that once I finish placing the details over the entire map, which is quite large and mostly is just a flag beige color right now.
    However I am unable to replicate the nice shore edge effect I see in a lot of the maps here. Can anyone maybe direct me to a good tutorial they know about for that or general sea detail?

And also thanks for the up votes
    Ill update when there is more to show.

P.S. Eilathen, here is a snapshot i took for my friend who asked me "how bad can it be?" when I told him there is a-lot of map to fill

Name:	jzRigqU.png 
Views:	322 
Size:	409.7 KB 
ID:	54164

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

big. and not even a world map

Quote Originally Posted by Garmagr View Post
    I'm sort of going for this de-saturated depressing feel with the coloration- though if that's not what you mean with the colors can you explain? Are you talking about the matte beige landmass color I'm using currently? - I plan on going over that with some details once I'm done placing all the details of the map down.

Name:	jzRigqU.png 
Views:	322 
Size:	409.7 KB 
ID:	54164
    The de-saturated colors are fine, it's just that the trees and mountains sort of don't stand out very well due to the soft lines and soft shading. I would recommend adding darker shadows (and perhaps contours) to these features to help them stand out a bit more.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

I concur with arsheesh, increasing lines elements opacity and adding more shading on mountains would improve it.

Quote Originally Posted by Garmagr View Post
    P.S. Eilathen, here is a snapshot i took for my friend who asked me "how bad can it be?" when I told him there is a-lot of map to fill
    Cool, thanks for showing it to us Looking forward to its progress

And lol, vorropohaiah, my thoughts exactly
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast