Thread: Finding textures and "sprites"?

Default Finding textures and "sprites"?

I'm looking to start mapping and I got the basics down, but I'd like to have a wider array of textures and I can't seem to find any suitable "sprites" (16-bit items and buildings that I can place in map) any gimp users help me out?

P.S. They ARE sprites right? I did a google search for sprites and all that came up were characters, nothing like tents or bookshelves.

I'm guessing what you are looking for are items such as those found in the Dunjinni forums.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Sprite is a term that comes from the video game world, referring to a 2d graphic applied in screen space. (As opposed to applied to an object in a 3d world, which would be a "decal.")

The Dundjinni forums are, indeed, an excellent source of building-scale map objects like tables, treasure chests, and fireplaces. It's a little lean on town-scale objects like buildings, but I think it does still have some. If you can find it, there is a collection of objects gleaned from those forums called the CSUAC. I forget what that stands for, and it's sometimes difficult to find a source, but if you can locate it, it's well worth the significant amount of time it will take to download.

There are also some resources here in the Mapping Elements forum, although our collection is relatively small. We do have quite a few brushes for Photoshop and Gimp, though.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name