View Poll Results: Please vote for the entries you want to win.

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: *** April Challenge VOTING - Using Dwarf Fortress ASCII Maps as a Source ***

Great challenge, generated a lot of interest. I voted for Diamond and Swartzenkreuse because WOW, Sapiento because the map is very nicely put together, and Larb because he did a great job with the iso dungeon. There were some other very nice maps that would have got my vote if the competition wasn't as tough as it was this time.
    I might have entered the comp if I had taken the time to realize the dwarven fortress program could be used to make dungeons, not just continents. Oh well, my loss.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Even if i kill my chance of winning but i have to vote for Diamond, its a great entry!

There were some really great maps this month. I had to restrict myself to only voting for two, but it was a hard thing. My choices:

Schwarzkreuz - superb. Like Chashio, wasn't too keen on the sausage-borders, and the trees without shadows bothered me a bit, but I absolutely loved the painterly style. Best map, without a doubt.

matty406 - really liked this little map. It stood out among the others as a simple but pleasing work. There's some room for improvement, but, as a first work, I think it was worth a vote.

Honourable mention to Larb. You can never go wrong with an iso map.

There was something about Diamond's that I wasn't too sure about; it's a great map, but perhaps the digital linework on the weathered parchment was a mistake.

Yeah, a very strong challenge for April.

I voted for SK and matty406. Both had really nice mountains () and just an overall pleasing layout. I especially liked SK's heraldry, very authentic looking.

Diamond's map is, as always, a looker. Nice landshape, i like the heraldry as well but i really didn't like the very abstract representation of forests and moutains. And (that maybe totally my hang up) the name just made me expect a much stronger celtic influence/vibe (although the compass rose is superb).

Too bad vorropohaiah didn't finish his map. I think this would have been an awesome map. I like the landshapes a lot. Maybe you can finish it later?!
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    Too bad vorropohaiah didn't finish his map. I think this would have been an awesome map. I like the landshapes a lot. Maybe you can finish it later?!
    ill try. dont seem to have much luck in these challenges, do i. i think its my insistence on shoehorning every entry into conworld, rather than just making an entry for the sake of it. i think it backfires as i try hard to find a way to fit the entry into my world, and the end result suffers as a result.

regarding this particularly entry i was perhaps too subtle with the textures i used (theres about 3 each on land and sea, o 6 different ones total, and none of them show that much) and the land was perhaps too white. i might go back to this one and try finish it off, though im more likely to start again from scratch.

perhaps some random entries to help hone my skills would do more good than harm.

That's the way to do it, vorro; random maps purely focused on design, style, technique, and detailing to best effect, and keeping them pretty small. Like filling a sketchbook full of masterpieces... if you're not trying to follow a certain set of rules or fit it into a larger picture, and you go at it from a perspective of 'it's a sketchbook so it doesn't matter if I screw it up' you'll surprise yourself with what you can do. I've found it so at least.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

thats the reason, i do those time maps. Get the energy and inspiration of a fast Little try, instead of forcing Big maps and become frustrated

I had a hard time choosing my votes. Lots of very good maps. I broke my three votes only rule and even then I still wanted to pick more.

Javert's was a particular favourite. Sapiento's as always are finely crafted, Dimond's was really nice looking (love the palette), as was SK's. Also I think SK should get a special award just for finishing a challenge and not just giving us a wonderful picture to look at. (gold star for you, SK) =P

Vorr's was very nice but I don't really vote for unfinished maps - nothing to do with the execution but mainly because I think it is more fair to consider the finished ones primarily. I am sure Vorr's would have been wonderful if completed.

On a side note I am surprised by the lack of votes for Nolgroth. I think it is a very fine looking and clear map. I don't think there is anything wrong with it at all really. I hope the result is not discouraging. I put it down to the horrendously tough competition this month.

Oh and Larb isn't a he lastly I guess but I don't give out personal details.

*edit* I forgot to mention Khamero. I thought it looked good and I suppose the real life media helped. I find it hard to judge ACTUAL painting (my art practice has always been self-taught pen and pencil and then I bought a tablet - never did any real life watercolours or anything). But it looked good and I liked it so I voted for it.
    Last edited by Larb; 05-03-2013 at 07:30 PM.

Its is a crazy race between Diamond, you and me. Every single Vote changes the ballance.

@CLeaders: What happens when there are several entrys with the same amount of votes?

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I think there's been a time or two in the past with a tie where they both received a compass. Not sure how that exactly works though; I am but a noob CL...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast