Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: April/May Lite Challenge - Mausoleum of Dark Waters

Guild Apprentice

Default April/May Lite Challenge - Mausoleum of Dark Waters

I was pleasantly excited at seeing that the lite challenge for this month was a battlemap, since battlemaps are as close as I have to a specialty when it comes to map making.

For centuries, the elite of Naltan buried their dead in monumental mausoleums. However, the city of Naltan was annihilated long ago and as the surviving noble bloodlines died out the tombs ceased to be visited and were stripped of their furnishings and valuables. Now, the empty ruin has begun swarming with undead, far more than there were ever bodies interred there. What has happened to the ancient dead? Who is causing this infestation? Are there any adventurers who can stop it?

### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Main WIP 1.jpg 
Views:	1293 
Size:	2.04 MB 
ID:	54183

This is just the first of three planned floors (two floors above ground and a crypt). I am not sure how much dungeon dressing to include, since I generally make my battle maps with a minimum of clutter beyond walls and floor, but for the challenge I might pretty things up a bit. I also am not sure if I like the aesthetic of I have going with the gridlines; I thought it would look cool, but it wound up just kind of looking sloppy. More tinkering to come.

Good start Caleth

Guild Apprentice

I did a little more work in photoshop and I think that this look is a lot better. It makes the overhanging grid look way better at least.

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	Main Test 2.jpg 
Views:	621 
Size:	2.05 MB 
ID:	54187

Which one looks better. The first "D&D Sourcebook" style, or the more blended with the background style?

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I don't know why exactly, but I love the way the grid extends past the actual map. I'd say the first one looks better to me; I like the colors a little better there.

Guild Apprentice

Here is the lower crypt level. I made a compromise between the two blending styles that I had before which I think works better than either of the extremes. I am satisfied with the look ad feel at this point, so more levels to come eventually.

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	Crypt WIP 1.jpg 
Views:	517 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	54213

Lots of nooks and crannies to hide bad guys in!

Guild Apprentice

Here are both floors that I have completed. Still to come are the upper floor and maybe a lower crypt and tower.

This WIP image is scaled down from what the final size will be because the whole map is getting pretty enormous at this point. Maybe a little out of control even.

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	MoDW WIP 2 thumb.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	1,022.0 KB 
ID:	54238

Guild Apprentice

It's really coming together now. I might still add a lower crypt, but the map is substantially done at this point. Again, it got pretty huge, so this WIP is half the size the finished map will be.

Is the font a little too much? I think it is pretty cool. What do you guys think?

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	MoDW WIP 3 thumb.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	54422

Looks fine!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

This is a really extensive map, and I really like that all the square corners give the architecture a distinct style. I'm enjoying trying to imagine what the building looks like from the outside. Are you planning to scatter some stuff around in there, sarcophagi and the like? Or do the undead tend to clean up and repair the place? I'm thinking that an old crypt might have a lot of bits of rock and junk collecting in the corners.

cheers,
    Meshon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast