Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: some shaded relief scribbles...

Default some shaded relief scribbles...

I still have this in mind to do some old-style shaded relief style for some maps (Eldoran, mainly).
    After some time passed today on tests using Krita, I came up with this.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thuvar.png 
Views:	111 
Size:	5.18 MB 
ID:	99391

It doesn't really look bad (especially in reduced size), but it lacks some sharpness to my taste... Any idea on how to bring that?

OK, test number 2. I think it looks better... and since it takes way more time to achieve it, I must be on the right pass (or at least I hope so) !

Name:	Thuvar2.png 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	99460

Some more.

Name:	Thuvar2.png 
Views:	79 
Size:	2.18 MB 
ID:	99467

Oh my!

Ilanthar, I am so sorry I missed the beginning of this thread!

Those are beautiful

As for sharpness, the only cure I have found for sharpness on any kind of map with any kind of software I've ever used, is to draw the thing twice the final size and reduce by 50%. It takes 4 x as long because of the area to be covered, but the greater detail in any one square inch is 4 x greater in the final map, and I think a lot of sharpness is more about the level of detail than the actual sharpness of the lines.

That's really good Ilanthar ! The only thing I can recommend, having downloaded old CIA shaded relief maps recently, is what Sue is saying. Those files are huge and the sharpness comes from the ridiculously detailed shading. You're on the right path, also, you can take a look at J Edward's Guildworld which is fantastic in this department.
    Last edited by ThomasR; 09-22-2017 at 03:55 PM.

Thanks, guys!

I've done a few more tests, including work at a bigger size. But the result wasn't as good. The thing is I have difficulties to take into account the size reduction, and it ended in a mess (plus, I really need a more powerful computer !). The idea is excellent though, I'll probably have to do it differently or with different brush.

Anyhow, it's just a test! I'll retry things later.

uhm... is it terrible of me that I actually prefer the first one you posted? Maybe because I like the coloring in conjunction with the textures... The first one just has more life to me, but then again, this is just my personal opinion
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Guild Expert

These look pretty good Ilanthar! I'm with ladiestorm on the colours in the first one they are really nice but I prefer the relief in the second and third ones. I'm excited to see how this turns out once it's all done, I really like the style.

Hey, thanks to you both!

Don't worry, I will probably keep this kind of coloring. I'm just not there yet, as I try to figure out the shaded relief first. I've looked at my good old atlas and I will probably redo a test, with some more underlined mountain ridges.... when I'll got the time .

Test n°3... It's reduced at 25% and I think I'm endly going somewhere!

Name:	Thuvartest3.jpeg 
Views:	55 
Size:	186.6 KB 
ID:	100035

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast