Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Change the outlines on my hand drawn mountains in GIMP the easiest way?

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    Pencil has a tendency to do that when scanned because the graphite sits on top of the paper and doesn't fill in the grain the way pen does, and the scanner heightens the difference. It can help if you set your scanner to greyscale, 600 resolution, and turn the brightness down. Then in GIMP you can adjust the levels or curves (values/lighting/whatever it's called in GIMP) to get a higher quality outcome and then when you're happy with the lighting, re-size the image to 50% (resolution 300, which is a standard print resolution). Doing all that should make the grain appear less pronounced, if it doesn't nix it altogether (depends on your editing).

I did this in Photoshop by doing a fuzzy color selection to grab the white, inverting the selection, creating a new layer and giving it a mask with the selection, filling the layer with black and adjusting the mask boundary and contrast until it looked mostly filled in (more like what a pen would do). I don't know how you'd do it in Gimp.

Attachment 54222
    Wow, this will help me tremendously, thanks, +rep.

Just got to figure it out in GIMP now

You're welcome.

If I recall correctly, GIMP does have a color range select thingy somewhere in the menus or tools, and I'm 50% sure it has masks... but I'm not sure how easy they are to adjust. You might download a copy of Photoshop CS2 if it's just too much for GIMP to handle.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

You're welcome.

If I recall correctly, GIMP does have a color range select thingy somewhere in the menus or tools, and I'm 50% sure it has masks... but I'm not sure how easy they are to adjust. You might download a copy of Photoshop CS2 if it's just too much for GIMP to handle.
    You would do it exactly the same way in Gimp.

Also, please do not encourage folks here to illegally obtain software.

Thanks,

-RobA>

My apologies. I thought it had been released as freeware.

Ah, no I see... an older post in the software discussions forum had caught the corner of my eye, but the widely spread rumor on the net appears to have been a misinterpretation of phrase.
    Last edited by Chashio; 05-04-2013 at 07:47 PM.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

I am getting crazy over here.

At step 3: Creating a new layer and giving it a mask with the selection, should I at [add layer mask] take the alternative "selection"? or "Black full transparency"?

This is a grey scale scan at 300 dpi

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blyertsberg1.jpg 
Views:	347 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	54226
    Last edited by ptrben; 05-04-2013 at 11:16 PM.

My apologies. I thought it had been released as freeware.

Ah, no I see... an older post in the software discussions forum had caught the corner of my eye, but the widely spread rumor on the net appears to have been a misinterpretation of phrase.
    No problem. I just ran across a debate on this specific issue a few days ago, so can appreciate the confusion. Just wanted to keep things on the up and up.

-RobA>

Quote Originally Posted by ptrben View Post
    I am getting crazy over here.

At step 3: Creating a new layer and giving it a mask with the selection, should I at [add layer mask] take the alternative "selection"? or "Black full transparency"?

This is a grey scale scan at 300 dpi

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blyertsberg1.jpg 
Views:	347 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	54226
    After fuzzy selecting the white, create a new black layer, and add a layer mask, picking the selection option and checking the invert.

Then select none.

You can apply a slight blur and play with the levels of the layer mask to soften or clean up the results.

-RobA>

Well thank you everyone for your help: but I have seen my limits and will have to start from the beginning at http://www.cartographersguild.com/tu...y-mapping.html to get a better education in this subject.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12