Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Change the outlines on my hand drawn mountains in GIMP the easiest way?

Help Change the outlines on my hand drawn mountains in GIMP the easiest way?

Well a beginner sometimes run in to problems...

Outlines on my hand drawn mountains are not the same, is there a simple way to fix this in GIMP?

And how do I change the brush size without screwing it up to much..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1to26.jpg 
Views:	5880 
Size:	2.04 MB 
ID:	54215

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

If you're using brushes, scaling them with always affect the look they have ( mostly blurry them) so you have to draw a set with all the several sizes you want for them on your map adn don't scale them. By the way, when looking close up to those mountains, the noise effect you used doesn't look that good and kind of kill the outlining. If you can have access to a scanner, I would suggest to draw them by hand, scan them, import them in GIMP in turn them into brushes. If you don't, try to draw simple outlines without too much effects on them in GIMP ( possibly using some thin light grunge roud brushes. Shwarzkreuz did post some of his own in his DeRust taining maps WIP, maybe it will help you). Hope it helps.

Well, I drew them by hand and scanned them. Opened up gimp used the lasso tool and then made them into brushes. Maybe it is my low budget pencils that creates the problem?

Hmm it has a lot of noise so that's weird...

Did cover up some of the areas with the pen tool. Does it look better?

The left one is the new one. The right one the old brush.

Name:	try.jpg 
Views:	1020 
Size:	230.4 KB 
ID:	54221

A bit but it's very sharp and still has noise on other parts :/

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    A bit but it's very sharp and still has noise on other parts :/
    Yeah I know of the other parts, will fill them later, but will it get to sharp then?

Let's see how it goes once you scale them at brushes size

Guild Adept Facebook Connected aquarits's Avatar

probly you are using a photocopy as scanner what make a big diference. I had this problem with my scans too, trying to stel some machines in my job when i use the properly scan i get it right, when use the photocopy to get it, i have the same of your result.
    I guess that you can changes the configuration of your scanner (if it is a photocopy like i do) i change the resolution and create a TIFF file, sometimes it clean all my image copied.

Pencil has a tendency to do that when scanned because the graphite sits on top of the paper and doesn't fill in the grain the way pen does, and the scanner heightens the difference. It can help if you set your scanner to greyscale, 600 resolution, and turn the brightness down. Then in GIMP you can adjust the levels or curves (values/lighting/whatever it's called in GIMP) to get a higher quality outcome and then when you're happy with the lighting, re-size the image to 50% (resolution 300, which is a standard print resolution). Doing all that should make the grain appear less pronounced, if it doesn't nix it altogether (depends on your editing).

I did this in Photoshop by doing a fuzzy color selection to grab the white, inverting the selection, creating a new layer and giving it a mask with the selection, filling the layer with black and adjusting the mask boundary and contrast until it looked mostly filled in (more like what a pen would do). I don't know how you'd do it in Gimp.

Name:	mtns darkened.png 
Views:	2802 
Size:	3.08 MB 
ID:	54222
    Last edited by Chashio; 05-04-2013 at 04:42 PM.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast