Thread: Working out Global Biodomes and Rainfall Maps

Default Working out Global Biodomes and Rainfall Maps

Hi guys, I've been working on my global map for my campaign setting to get a feel for the world before I move into a more more focused region, and while the rainfall and climate maps are interesting to me, I'd just like some more experienced eyes to give what I've done a once over, and offer any comments, suggestions or changes.

The world is basically earthlike, the only difference being that it is about 25% smaller than earth. There is a large, central mountain range on the continent on the middle (A), caused when two large tectonic plates collided millions of years ago. There is another, younger mountain range going north-south on the continent to the left (B), and another ridge-like range going east-west on the continent to the right (A).

From what I've inferred there should be a large rainfall shadow on the right hand side of mountain range A, which extends down south to connect with the subtropical region below it. On the left hand side of the range there would be increased rainfall, which results in snowfall due to the altitude. I've only gone over the other continents lightly, as my main focus is on the central continent (where most of the setting will be based). Furthermore, I'm also having difficulty with working out how the currents would flow, and how that would in turn affect the temperatures of the various regions.

Edit: See 4th post for new development.
    Last edited by Soul_Reaper; 10-03-2013 at 07:11 AM.

I think you need more ice in the south. It's colder since water dissipate heat faster than land.
    By the way, the climate, rainfall and Gaia are not really accurate in Fractal Terrain. It look good but that's all.
    here, a link that will help you with the climate The Climate Cookbook

But there is something you need to consider about it's rotation speed since you planet is smaller than Earth. If it rotate at the same speed, the days will be shorter. For a 24h per day you will need to slow the rotation. It might have a big impact with the pressure zones, I'm not sure. If you planet is 25% smaller than Earth, I suppose you where talking about the radius. If so it's a little smaller than Callisto, even if the rest is a poor comparison.

Thanks for the link. I'll go through it and post up what I come up with for more suggestions.

So, I've read through the Climate Cookbook you suggested, and started working on the High/Low pressure systems, although I'm not sure its 100% right, and how the winds would be blowing as a result of this. Any suggestions you can offer?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NorthernSummer.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	58145

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NorthernWinter.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	58146