Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Republic of Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Skycast View Post
    Here's todays latest incarnation...lightened up the background a bit and used the "outline" on the symbols to sharpen them a bit. Still need to tweak the background color I think, but it's closer. Next step will be to add in the roads, text and finish off the vegetation.

Hmmm.... I see tree trunks....all is right with the world(at least until Torstan and his buddies blow it up in August)

Yep, these mountains look much better. The others probably would have looked ok with a different background color, but they ended up blending in to much and just looked like a blob of brown and white to me. Anyway, these are much better and they also more texture to boot. One thing you might want to consider is using a post processing tool to create the rivers. If you were to follow RobA's Inkscape tutorial, you could get rivers that taper in size from start to end and finish up in GIMP. Likewise, ravells also has a tutorial, but I "THINK" it's for Photoshop.

I really like the whole lines on the ocean thing. Very cool

Joe

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Agreed, those mountains are great for that kind of map. Good job.

I think the rivers are fine, myself, although they might deserve to stand out a little more. Perhaps use a lighter blue then the ocean?

Still some work and tweaking to do, but here's version number 5 as of today. Some thoughts on things I want to do:

1) Soften up the roads so they aren't so prominent.
    2) Need to add/finish up the forest areas.
    3) Add scale, compass, etc.
    4) Here's the biggie, I want to add some subtle "green" areas to represent valleys in the open areas between the mountain symbols that "fade into" some brown background surrounding around the mountains...this may take some work to get right.

That's all I can think of right now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ROV5.PNG 
Views:	58 
Size:	2.37 MB 
ID:	4770  
    Skycast

Wild Die - a random die roll of a blog | Savage Septentrionalis - Savage Worlds play-by-post

Quote Originally Posted by Skycast View Post
    Still some work and tweaking to do, but here's version number 5 as of today. Some thoughts on things I want to do:

1) Soften up the roads so they aren't so prominent.
    2) Need to add/finish up the forest areas.
    3) Add scale, compass, etc.
    4) Here's the biggie, I want to add some subtle "green" areas to represent valleys in the open areas between the mountain symbols that "fade into" some brown background surrounding around the mountains...this may take some work to get right.

That's all I can think of right now.
    Is this done in CC3? I can't say that I know CC3 that well, but I would think it would be harder to do 4 without switching over to GIMP or Photoshop or something like that. Of course, NeonKnight will come along and tell me I am wrong....

Anyway, looks pretty good. I rather like the roads as they are.
    Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Is this done in CC3? I can't say that I know CC3 that well, but I would think it would be harder to do 4 without switching over to GIMP or Photoshop or something like that. Of course, NeonKnight will come along and tell me I am wrong....

Anyway, looks pretty good. I rather like the roads as they are.
    Joe
    Thanks Joe...yes, this is all done in CC3 and I'm already toying with ways to do #4 that look good. Yes, it can be done; I want to do all the work in CC3.
    Skycast

Wild Die - a random die roll of a blog | Savage Septentrionalis - Savage Worlds play-by-post

Bad habit...reply to my reply...updated version.

Name:	ROV6.PNG 
Views:	48 
Size:	2.52 MB 
ID:	4773  
    Skycast

Well, except for some minor tinkering (which I'll undoubtedly do), I think this puppy is done.

Name:	ROV8.PNG 
Views:	83 
Size:	2.60 MB 
ID:	4787  
    Skycast

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

That's looking really good. Now I'm not a CC3 boy so I don't know whether this is possible, but I'd sharpen the border and the coast. Currently their blurred edges clash with the precise line art of the mountains and the hills.

Otherwise, very pretty. Good work!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12