Thread: April/May Lite Entry - The Serpent Cavern

Blog Entries

Default April/May Lite Entry - The Serpent Cavern

The following is my April/May challenge entry. This is the first challenge I've entered, so I'm learning all sorts of stuff as I go. When I saw the prompt (which I think is excellent) I just knew I had to enter.

My entry is hand drawn. I did use the computer programs to darken it up a bit, as I thought the bright white of the paper was unnatural. If I finally figure out how the layer thing works, I'll let you guys know!

Though humans had once erected and inhabited a fort within the cavern, it is now overrun with derpent-like creatures, who spit fire and slide down the tunnels within the place. The pit of fire is a sacred location for them, and they often go there to worship their evil god, Ardor. Players might enter via the portal, or through walking alongside the boiling stream that runs through the cave.

I have another map that I posted today --> http://www.cartographersguild.com/fi...ak-castle.html so please take a look at that one too. If you feel that one might be better for this challenge, let me know!

Thanks folks! :D

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Serpent Cavern.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	2.05 MB 
ID:	54245
    Last edited by foremost; 05-05-2013 at 07:55 PM.
    The best maps are the ones we like the most after looking at the longest.

Blog Entries

The paper I did this one was originally white, and the shading came in with the computer. I'm debating what shade to put this map into - I could make it lighter. HOWEVER the shaded look give it an underground feel, so I might keep that. Any thoughts?

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

I think that it needs some messing up, chuck some debris around there! Highly respecting your hand-drawn maps btw.

cheers,
    Meshon

Blog Entries

Thanks! I could throw in a few more objects, I suppose.

I agree with Meshon, and add a bit more detail, especially to the fort/buildings.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

I'm thinking even just a few pen dots in the corners, where dust and debris might collect, might be all the mess you need. Big chunks of things, like smashed boxes and broken stones, would probably get cleared away, so no need to add much. And really, I just like mess, so I'm just pushing you towards my own personal preferences

cheers,
    Meshon