Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Bleak Castle

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Default The Bleak Castle

I'm very happy to have posted two maps in a day. I did this one in about an hour with only a sharpie and a ruler.

While making this one, I didn't focus on perfection for a change. Instead, I made it into a fun experiment. I like the way I added thickness to the walls (it doesn't withdraw attention from anything or make the map as a whole look to heavy). The cliffs also looked good in my opinion.

I almost forgot to add in bedrooms, and (as I had filled up the paper) decided to run the sleeping quarters underneath the Library and the Dining Hall. It was effective, but I could have probably made it look better had I remembered earlier and intended it to be underground in the first place.

My map posted earlier today is a challenge map (please check it out --> http://www.cartographersguild.com/cu...nt-cavern.html) and included a pit of fire in one of the corners. I liked this fire pit and added one into the dining hall. I suppose that means there shouldn't be a bedroom below that corner. :P

In addition, the secret study is underground. Rather than dip into the Earth, the Earth raises up with a steep hill at that location. You'll notice there are lot of cliffs, ledges, and terrian altitude changes in the map - I wanted a rough, "weathered" look, and I hope I achieved just that.

Now to the fun part - the castle (and the village to the south that I plan to make later) is overrun with the undead!! Thus the Castle may be called Bleak. Needless to say, the garden is becoming a bit unkempt.

Alright, I've typed enough. I'm on the verge of making this map my challenge entry instead of my original. Let me know what you think about that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bleak Castle.jpg 
Views:	689 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	54260

Thanks to all, feel free to comment, critizise, like, rep, or anything else. Your advice is what can make me better.
    The best maps are the ones we like the most after looking at the longest.

That's nice. Well laid out. As a random thought, I wonder what would happen if you added a light ink wash to the hill-filled areas around the parts that are underground, fading them out as you go toward the surface areas. Hmm. I think I like the other one better for the challenge. I'm getting a kick out of finding all the different traps.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    That's nice. Well laid out. As a random thought, I wonder what would happen if you added a light ink wash to the hill-filled areas around the parts that are underground, fading them out as you go toward the surface areas. Hmm. I think I like the other one better for the challenge. I'm getting a kick out of finding all the different traps.
    Thanks! That is a good idea with the ink wash. Obviously, I couldn't do that with the Sharpie, but now that it's scanned in I shouldn't have too much trouble. I'm going to take up some colored pencils (hate colored pencils) and give some color a go. If I like it, I'll post it here.

Quote Originally Posted by foremost View Post
    I'm going to take up some colored pencils (hate colored pencils) and give some color a go. If I like it, I'll post it here.
    You might like to give a go with either or both of watercolor pencils or pastel pencils. I don't much like traditional colored pencils myself; they frustrate me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    You might like to give a go with either or both of watercolor pencils or pastel pencils. I don't much like traditional colored pencils myself; they frustrate me.
    I think I'll do just that. I'm also doing the village to the south right now... I should complete that tonight. I'm not sure what I have for watercolor pencils or anything along those lines, but I'll get some when I can.

Quote Originally Posted by foremost View Post
    I'm not sure what I have for watercolor pencils or anything along those lines, but I'll get some when I can.
    Test them out with various techniques on scrap paper first to see what you like best. I prefer application via water brush (brush with a water-filled handle) but you can also just draw with them and wet the paper after the fact, etc etc.

Blog Entries

Alright, while I struggle to fill up to the coloring task, I might as well get ahead of myself.

A few months ago I scanned in one of my favorite maps that I did (and a few others). However, I was very dissapointed to find that I couldn't add them as attachments and post them here. The Manage Attachments window wasn't being very nice, so I abandoned my hope of putting them here. However, I later realized I had set my printer to scan those maps in at a higher quality, and they were much bigger in size. I dug them once more out of my map folder today and scanned them in on normal quality. I'm fairly certain they'll work now (unless the Manage Attachments window REALLY doesn't like me).

My point being, I have a bunch of maps I want to post, and I had a good idea. Along with being a map enthusiast (I wouldn't call myself a cartographer... yet), I am into writing, and a friend had suggested I write a story to go along with some of the maps I do. I discarded the thought at first, but now I have the opportunity. Starting this weekend, I'll begin a 10-day journey. The idea is to present a map a day, along with a few pages of story.

Remember I didn't make these maps with the intention of fitting them together. As a result, there will be a good vareity of maps and each day should be a surprise. The first day will be based off of this map (The Bleak Castle). I have a cool idea for the story, and I'd like to try it out.

As a Teaser for the story:

"It is the 457th year of the Empire's exsistance, and a great evil is awaking. Satan, in human form once more, restrengthens himself in a remote keep in the South. Under the name of Aeron, Satan seeks to control the world with an army of undying warriors. Venturing across the continents, Satan will stop at nothing to exert his dominance over the lands and the mortals that inhabit them."

It sounds a little funny ( ) but I think the map aspect is what I can really focus on.

DAY 1 is Saturday... hope to see you there!

-fm

What kind of pens did you use?

Blog Entries

I think I mentioned it - Sharpies

Ultra-fine point.

Wow Foremost, much luck on your 10 day project! I wish I could be as methodical and self-disciplined as you are. The thought of making 1 map a day along with a couple pages of story to go along with it sounds like a mountaneous task to me. :3 But I am sure you will succeed with flying colors!

I was taking a look at your Bleak Castle map which looks fantastic, and thought I would share what went through my mind. I really enjoy the elevation change which is something I clearly understood while looking over it. I was reading your text and wanted to suggest maybe putting the sleeping quarters of the castle above the Library and Dining Hall instead of below them, underground. Maybe turning that part of your castle into a 2-story, or whatever it takes to stick those bedrooms up above. Of course if that is not consistent with your story, as if it is not something natural to the culture to have balconies in your royal bedrooms, it would make sense to stick them underground then.

And also, your secret underground study room with the map table (which is my most favorite part about this castle) - I was thinking it would be neat to have something on top of that hill above ground, like a gazeebo or religious circle or graveyard or any kind of a structure that would give reason to its existence. If I was a 'nobody' looking at the grounds of this castle I would wonder what that empty space of land near the castle is being used for. Because there is nothing to be seen above ground I would naturally think that there is something underground. So I guess what I am saying is if I was looking for a secret chamber of sorts, that round steep hill would be the first place I would start searching! But if you had something on top of that hill then it would kind of fool the mind of the average person.

I hope that made any sense! lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast