Thread: Delimma - Purist or non purist

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected ranger's Avatar

Default Delimma - Purist or non purist

Ok, I saw some post talking about purists and non purists....

I know know why I have been having troubles....I cant decide which i prefer....

I am by profession a purist...but by heart a non purist....

(not sure its spelled correctly)

Anyone got any advice?

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

If you are talking about my post about projections and all, you need to know that it was written tongue in cheek ...mostly.

That being said, I would have to say that it all depends on how you want to map, and your preferred work flow. Some people do think of their world as a complete globe and want to find a projection that best fits the part of the globe that they want to show. Others, like me, approach a map as being part of a world but do not really care that there is distortion from a true global surface.

Where you want to stand all depends on how you approach mapping.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Ohhhh, now I gotta go find this post so I can determine which camp I'm in. I expect a non-purist just off the cuff but only because while I do in fact value standards I just can't let them stand in the way of artistic expression. If everyone based their ideas of what can be done we would never have had those incredible inventions like the phonograph, or the light bulb.

Anyway, I gotta go find the conversation now.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

I generally don't design worlds - only small continents or smaller (unless I'm commissioned otherwise), so I don't worry about it. If commissioned, I do it however the client asks.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

I'm a purist to a fault, sometimes to the point that i spend more time thinking of and coming up with a projection than I do the map itself... i just hink it adds that much more believability to the region you're mapping and also helps with things like climate.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected ranger's Avatar

Vorropohaiah, your maps seem a combination of both of them, and yours inspire me to try and make something similar. I think for me I have the art ability I just dont know how to get the technical side. Hai-Etlik has given me some great advice, but I think I was overwhelmed with the idea of how to handle the stretching etc of the map and how to draw it properly.... would love a tut on your maps vorropohaiah

Ranger that's me also, I'm overwelmed with projections, Hai-Etlik is awesome in his works, but I have trouble getting into the width and breadth he does. An I have no idea if I'm a purist or non-purist, I just do what I like LOL

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Vorropohaiah, your maps seem a combination of both of them, and yours inspire me to try and make something similar. I think for me I have the art ability I just dont know how to get the technical side. Hai-Etlik has given me some great advice, but I think I was overwhelmed with the idea of how to handle the stretching etc of the map and how to draw it properly.... would love a tut on your maps vorropohaiah
    thanks though i'm far from an expert myself. i just read what hai-etlik had to say and tried experimenting. mostly i work in equirectangular maps and run everythign through the nasa g projector software, which does all the hard work for me