Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [WIP] The World of Alhenkell

Guild Member Facebook Connected Lezales's Avatar

I'm in a big period of doubt right now...

I like what I've done so far but I don't think I'm happy with the overall shape of the landmass. I feel like I need to start over at the basics and work my landmass. Gosh I always do this !

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lezales View Post
    I feel like I need to start over at the basics and work my landmass. Gosh I always do this !
    You're not the only one. Don't beat yourself up about it; if you feel like you painted yourself into a corner sometimes the worst thing you can do is try to continue with it no matter what. You'll just get even more discouraged and not want to do anything to do with mapping at all. Sometimes it helps to start another map that has nothing to do with your current project, just to give yourself a break while still actively mapping. Works for writing too.

Guild Member Facebook Connected Lezales's Avatar

Wip

So after a short while of indecision I decided to keep going with the current state of my world. I can always change stuff later and even if this is not perfect it will serve it's purpose of being good practice for me, being something esthetically pleasant and of course to help me in the writing of my novel.

So since last time (it's been a while !) I decided to put mountains coloring aside for a while as I'm fed up. So I started by giving the finishing touch to rivers. Then I added a parchment texture, ink splatters and borders. I then built a compass rose and I'm pretty happy with it !

You'll also notice I started to add some subtle textures here and there. I'll keep them very subtle. I still need to balance them but they'll become useful when I'll add in the ground color.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alhenkellmap3.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	3.42 MB 
ID:	55123

I'd like some criticism or tips or anything really. Thanks !
    Lezales

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

The compass you built is nice! I'd decrease the opacity of the rhumb lines abit though. Also for the colored mountains, you should try to add some highlightning on the left sides to avoid the full flat brown mountains and to keep the nice shading job Ramah did on them. The border looks cool, maybe abit too clean (and the bevel and emboss effect on the corners looks too much digital and really clash with the overall map). Hope it helps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12