Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: *** May Challenge - Hexcrawl ***

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

i think youre confusing settlers of catan with a generic hex-based boardgame. many WWII boardgames have a set map 'ie pacific theatre' or 'mediterranean' with overlaid hexes, which are used to facilitate movement etc.

EG: http://wwii.sepic.org/images/worldmap.png

Quote Originally Posted by Carbus View Post
    Last year I started a game project called Teramorphers. The idea is a game that combines Civilization, Magic and other strategy game, all in a hexagonal board. I had some good ideas, but got lazy and quickly demotivated since I had no one to discuss or develop the game. Whit this thread I saw an opportunity to revive the project! The problem is, there would be pre-generated maps, but the main idea relies on 2 players Morphing the terrain so that it works with the player strategy. My idea for the contest is to simulate a game between two players, and how they could change the terrain, create buildings and manage troops. And the final map having a little more polish than the other ones, but the entire process would matter more than the final map.
    So the question is, could this project fit in this particular Challenge?
    Thank you guys!
    Well this sounds like a very cool idea, but I don't think it is a good fit for this month's challenge. It would be a better fit for monthly challenge that involved creating a board game. A "hexcrawl" refers to a specific rpg gaming trope which is similar in many ways to a "dungeoncrawl". Both involve the creation of a map with bounded points of interest that are keyed in advance for players to explore (with additional content being added via random encounter or wandering monster tables and via re-stocking of the dungeon / hex map).

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzkreuz View Post
    Seems lot of us like it to go the Boardgame direction, which is not the same As a hexcrawl map.
    Also with movable tiles of Hex in a boardgame there would be no consistent map, but his idea to create a " active running Game Session" could Be a Solution.
    How would this be possible?
    You're right Schwarzkreuz, the two are not the same. In the past we have had a challenge or two based around coming up with a board game, and this could be a good challenge to bring back at some point in the future since it does seem like there is some interest in it. But the current challenge is to create a hex-map specifically with the hexcrawl mechanic in mind. Traditionally these have been single-unified maps with points of interest keyed in advance. However you could design a more modular tile based hex system for the hexcrawl, provided that your entry contained some way of generating points of interest (such as cities, towns, towers, keeps, monsters, lairs, dungeons etc) for the hex tiles, and that you created some form of key indicating what the symbols or pictures you used to represent these points of interest stood for.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Carbus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Well this sounds like a very cool idea, but I don't think it is a good fit for this month's challenge. It would be a better fit for monthly challenge that involved creating a board game. A "hexcrawl" refers to a specific rpg gaming trope which is similar in many ways to a "dungeoncrawl". Both involve the creation of a map with bounded points of interest that are keyed in advance for players to explore (with additional content being added via random encounter or wandering monster tables and via re-stocking of the dungeon / hex map).
    Thanks you Arsheesh! I was a little bit confused, but now you clarified everything! I had a boardgame in my mind, but it's a hole different story ( I guess my project will be delayed again xD). I stil don't know specifically what to do, maybe I'll wait other entries to see what it really is about!
    Good luck to everyone.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Yes this is indeed a very specific challenge

Hi everybody, just a friendly reminder that there are two days left to wrap up work on this month's challenge.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

...Yeah, I'm not gonna get her done, I think.

Shame I can't use the commission i'm doing currently, it would be perfect.

Just an update, I will be gone for the rest of the day so I won't have time to set up the voting for this challenge till tomorrow afternoon. Which means that anyone still working on a map has a little more time to complete it before the challenge is officially closed. I'll give everyone an hour's notice before I close the challenge and set up voting.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

You... you... You mean I could've got some sleep last night?!?

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

i think its become default that the challenges last at least until the first of the month now, if not the second :p

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast