Thread: The town of Dévennec

Map The town of Dévennec

Hiyas.

First post here. I've just started getting back into map making, and I've just started using Photoshop too. I must say I love the program.

Here's a town map I whipped up over the last two days using Larb's great Town Map Tutorial. I really love the style of maps it produces. I used RobA's tree and tower brushes from here, and some cliff overlays I got from Dundjini ages ago.

Hope you like the map. I'm quite pleased with the way it turned out. It's basically done, but I'd like to figure out a way to indicate which way the river flows (off to the right). It flows into a bay a little way off to the right, and the sandy area you see is flooded every high tide.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dévennec map-50.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	2.71 MB 
ID:	54301

Nice; first post has a completed map I like how you have the piers go several feet inwards to the huts. It's a small detail, but I was attracted to it.

Heh, that happened because i was working fast while using the line tool. It was easier to have it go under the buildings than trying to line it up with the edge of the buildings. Now that i look closely at it, I like it better this way too.

Blog Entries

Obviously, I looked at the map first, then read the description

I really like the sandy part now, just trying to imagine that at high tide. Maybe you could do a high tide map.

With regards to the river, it looks like it's much to narrow. I'm not sure what you can do to give it direction with that little space, but it's look a lot more like a river if you opened it up. Remember that a river Estuary is wide and sometime shallow. Even if it's not a big river, it could easily triple it's width where it meets your main water area.

The town looks cool. I liked the brown-roofed buildings the most. Are the yellow ones straw-roofed? I couldn't quite tell. Maybe you could add some more detail to it my using an actual image of straw-roof (if one exists).

However, I think this map is really quite great, especially if you're getting back into maps and working off the tutorials. I've done a bunch of hand-drawn maps ( http://www.cartographersguild.com/fi...ak-castle.html <-- for example) but I've yet to do learn how to use the computer programs. I started looking over the basic tutorials today and I hope my map looks something like this when I'm done.

Nice work
    -fm
    The best maps are the ones we like the most after looking at the longest.

Quote Originally Posted by foremost View Post
    I've done a bunch of hand-drawn maps ( http://www.cartographersguild.com/fi...ak-castle.html <-- for example) but I've yet to do learn how to use the computer programs. I started looking over the basic tutorials today and I hope my map looks something like this when I'm done.
    Agreed. I've tried using photoshop, but the process feels more organic when putting pencil to paper. However, I envy those who can make a spectacular map with a computer. Hope to see more