Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [Region 1][Map 12][Town 01] - Farpoint

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    The round huts are all 21 feet across or less (used a 21 pixel round brush set to vary size) to accommodate families 'cuz it's hard to fit 5 or 6 people inside a 10 foot hut. There are 2 sizes of campfire, small ones at 5 foot diamter and the larger ones are 20 feet. These are more communal firepits where multiple families do their cooking. Granted the scale here might be a bit big but these are more for representation than actual physical size as a 3 foot campfire wouldn't show very well at this 1 pixel = 1 foot scale. The canoes are actually big too being 3 feet/pixels wide and 12 feet/pixels long, again, more for representation rather than based on any actual physics. The crates are 5 feet/pixels across so they're big too for the same reasons. I could wipe the details out thus removing all problems but, for me, the details bring a place to life.

heh.... it's just that I played "wheres waldo" with the canoes for like 10 minutes. I mostly expected them to be on the waterfront and when I could not find them, I started looking the village. After many minutes of zooming in and then out and searching around, I finally said....hmmm... those look like they might be canoes. Anyway.. I think you could get away with double( 1 px = .5 foot) the size in scale and make a the canoes a bit larger and the rest of the map would work just as well. I also thought most of the trees with 125 foot spans might have been a bit much by the same token once I realized how small the canoes were. In any event, it's a marvelous map. I think even deserves to be one of the featured maps at some point...

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Yeah, I had thought about making 1 pixel = 6 inches and I probably should so that it would tighten the whole town up to look more tightly knit...like everyone is huddled on dry landmasses. But then we get into the whole style debate again and since I'm still learning mapping at this level I go for more of a feel even though the scale is outta whack. More emotional and evocative than accurate dimensions...trying to give the viewer a sense and feel of what it's like to walk through the place rather than be accurate for VTT stuff and painted miniatures (which I know nothing about). That's why I try to put in details too, none of it is really necessary, but there is a line of too much detail I try not to cross as it just looks fussy and micromanaged. Basically I approach my maps as if I were actually walking through the place...what would I see, hear, smell, etc and work my way down and down to that point, sort of like a set designer for a movie. God, if I had Maya or some of those other thousands of dollars 3d applications I might never see the sun.

Yeah, I had thought about making 1 pixel = 6 inches and I probably should so that it would tighten the whole town up to look more tightly knit...like everyone is huddled on dry landmasses. But then we get into the whole style debate again and since I'm still learning mapping at this level I go for more of a feel even though the scale is outta whack. More emotional and evocative than accurate dimensions...trying to give the viewer a sense and feel of what it's like to walk through the place rather than be accurate for VTT stuff and painted miniatures (which I know nothing about). That's why I try to put in details too, none of it is really necessary, but there is a line of too much detail I try not to cross as it just looks fussy and micromanaged. Basically I approach my maps as if I were actually walking through the place...what would I see, hear, smell, etc and work my way down and down to that point, sort of like a set designer for a movie. God, if I had Maya or some of those other thousands of dollars 3d applications I might never see the sun.

My nit picking not withstanding, this is a BEAUTIFUL map and worthy of praise.

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Ok, this is just about done. I might add some more stuff for the villagers to play with so lemme know how it looks. I shrunk the big campfires and embiggened the canoes (moved 4 of em to the coast) and reset the scale to 1 pixel = 1/2 foot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	farpoint3.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	4.52 MB 
ID:	4692  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

. I shrunk the big campfires and embiggened the canoes.
    "embiggened"? That's a new one
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Ok, this is just about done. I might add some more stuff for the villagers to play with so lemme know how it looks. I shrunk the big campfires and embiggened the canoes (moved 4 of em to the coast) and reset the scale to 1 pixel = 1/2 foot.

This is soo cool. You have to slow down your postings though, cause I can't keep up with giving you rep and get around to others before you post something else cool!

You might want to do some playing with the grass->sand transition. It's a bit sharp. Perhaps a bit of blur on the transition line or perhaps some splotciness (is that a word?) with clumps of grass over the border and a few clumps of sand on the grass side. Or perhaps a path stroked with a fuzzy brush... don't know what would look best.

Anyway, its great work! I love the stilts and had not noticed that before. That's superb detail!!!!

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

You're right about that transition, it never entered my mind, so I'll work on it over the weekend if I get time. I'm taking my nieces (Ava 6 and Lily to see Wall-E tonight and they want to help sandbag tomorrow...all that flooding in Winfield, Missouri that's been on the news, it's about 10-15 miles north of me. That should also keep my posts limited for a while as well heh heh

OK, I fixed that land/sand transition, put some shadows in for the dead trees around the village, and put some better waves out in the ocean. I'm ready to call this one done unless anyone sees something that I missed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	farpoint4.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	4.62 MB 
ID:	4733  

'Tis indeed a beautiful map. Be sure to upload it to the Farpoint Wiki page when you're certain it's done. Personally, I see all sort of adventures here... I love it.

-IG

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast