Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: [Region 1][Map 12][Town 01] - Farpoint

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Wip [Region 1][Map 12][Town 01] - Farpoint

Let me know what you think. I worked this up tonight in about 5 hours (most of that time was making little shadows for the stilts that the houses are built on). If it's way off base then I'll work something else up. If there's something you want me to add then I'll put that in as well. Personally, I like the driftwood barricade instead of a wall...using what's on hand don't ya know. The other thing was that I used a palm tree as my base for the trees, not sure what the flora around here would be (just trying to remember the ride of the valkyries scene from apocalype now but I haven't seen it in some 15 to 20 years).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	farpoint1.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	3.46 MB 
ID:	4580  

I love it! This is so close to what I imagined the place to look like - bogmen living in a dark and reeking fen! Oh, I've changed the title of the post so that it fits in with the post naming convention.

Cheers, Ascension!

Ravs

These are beautiful maps, and you deserve to be repped for your work.

However my only complaint is none of the maps have a Scale bar or anything of the sort to give me a sense of Size.

They are nice though.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    I love it! This is so close to what I imagined the place to look like - bogmen living in a dark and reeking fen! Oh, I've changed the title of the post so that it fits in with the post naming convention.

Cheers, Ascension!

Ravs

I agree. This is a great map. Someone should seriously consider this for the features maps section.

Oh, and while I am at it, he should get his little tutorial badge thing for making not one, but several tutorials.

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

WOW! That is pretty darn amazing.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I'm glad ya like it, I was a bit nervous about putting it up. I'd like to fiddle around with the huts some more and maybe add things like sheds, canoes, totem poles with skulls and things like that (depending on how much I can squeeze into 1 pixel = 1 foot)...it's all about the details for me, macro things like text, naming things, and scale bars will come last as those are the things I like least.

Here's an update as I'm nearing the end of this (unless someone wants me to change something or add in more tidbits). I added a layer to lighten it up (white, soft light, 60% opacity), added 3 canoes and 3 outrigger canoes, added a bunch of campfires, added some sheds and crates and barrels, added some more dead trees, added some rocks, added a dais with a totem pole, added a lil fruit stand and 2 carts...that's all I can remember right now. Oh, and a basic title graphic and scalebar, the border is just a repetition of the scalebar.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	farpoint2.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	4.32 MB 
ID:	4610  
    Last edited by Ascension; 06-24-2008 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Here's an update as I'm nearing the end of this (unless someone wants me to change something or add in more tidbits). I added a layer to lighten it up (white, soft light, 60% opacity), added 3 canoes and 3 outrigger canoes, added a bunch of campfires, added some sheds and crates and barrels, added some more dead trees, added some rocks, added a dais with a totem pole, added a lil fruit stand and 2 carts...that's all I can remember right now. Oh, and a basic title graphic and scalebar, the border is just a repetition of the scalebar.

Huts big. fire pits hugh. canoes tiny(fit inside firepits).

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------

The round huts are all 21 feet across or less (used a 21 pixel round brush set to vary size) to accommodate families 'cuz it's hard to fit 5 or 6 people inside a 10 foot hut. There are 2 sizes of campfire, small ones at 5 foot diamter and the larger ones are 20 feet. These are more communal firepits where multiple families do their cooking. Granted the scale here might be a bit big but these are more for representation than actual physical size as a 3 foot campfire wouldn't show very well at this 1 pixel = 1 foot scale. The canoes are actually big too being 3 feet/pixels wide and 12 feet/pixels long, again, more for representation rather than based on any actual physics. The crates are 5 feet/pixels across so they're big too for the same reasons. I could wipe the details out thus removing all problems but, for me, the details bring a place to life.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast