Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: [Region 1][Map 25] - The Witchlight Strand

Post [Region 1][Map 25] - The Witchlight Strand

IG, Here is the area as a .psd file. You'll find the coastline in black and white and a bump map (on a separate layer), both of which I made from Fractal Terrains. We'll be using these to make the map of the region. Feel free to experiment with what you have so far! Play is the essence of learning software, so just spend time playing with the maps, drawing stuff on top etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails igworld.psd  

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    IG, Here is the area as a .psd file. You'll find the coastline in black and white and a bump map (on a separate layer), both of which I made from Fractal Terrains. We'll be using these to make the map of the region. Feel free to experiment with what you have so far! Play is the essence of learning software, so just spend time playing with the maps, drawing stuff on top etc.
    Absolutely perfect. Thank you!

And here I am after a bit of fiddling... There's a weird thing going on on the coast that I'm not too crazy about.

Color's off somewhere; the whole thing's a bit greener than I hoped. It's all a nice earthy brown in PS, but gets sickly when I save the png. Any ideas?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	igworld1.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	3279  
    Last edited by industrygothica; 04-25-2008 at 07:52 AM.

Hey, it's looking good!

Hmm are you working in RGB or CMYK, that's the only thing I can think of. I think (sorry don't have PS in front of me now) you should check Image/Mode/ and see which is ticked. Make sure you're in RGB and 16 million colours (or n million anyway, not sure if it's 16).

The other (unlikely) possibility is that you might only be saving some layers and not others into the PNG? Are all your layers visible when you save?

Could you post a copy of the .psd file and I'll take a look at it.

Oh, and tell me if you have a name for the area and I'll amend the thread title.

It's not just the map that's get screwy colors... actually, everything I do comes out that way--considerably darker than what's in PS. Quite strange, really. Here's the .psd:

Actually, maybe not. The file is too big.

Well, that worked famously!

But, of course instead of making the .png the nice brown it's supposed to be, it made the .psd the sickly green. But hey, at least they match!

Luckily I remember what I did, mostly... so I can start again and not take too much time with it.

Thank you!

Here it is again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	igworld1.png 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	3280  

Wow...I don't know if it's just me but that image looks like one of those hologram pictures where the sea is way behind the land. I keep moving my head from left to right to see if there's a parallax effect!

Anyway, I'm glad you got the problem sorted. It's a shame those psd files get so big, it would have been helpful for me to work off the ones you were using. Nevermind, if my wife doesn't corner me for chores tonight, we can start working on the rivers.

By the way, do you have a tablet and pen?

I don't have a tablet. I'll be hitting my wife up for one soon enough, without a doubt.

I can send you the psd through email if you'd like.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast