Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: May 2013 Entry: Pritior

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Carbus's Avatar

Default May 2013 Entry: Pritior

What´s up guys!
    Not much to say, again I´m going with a drawing style, as a way to improve my skills. As for the Hex, decided to put the grid in a different perspective!
    Hope I´m going in an intersting way! A lot of work to do
    ### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hex.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	2.14 MB 
ID:	54340

Ooh, this is looking promising already!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

I've been trying to figure out how to make the hexes a major element of the map, instead of something to just work around, and I really like what you're doing here, kind of an iso-hex grid.

I'm looking forward to seeing where it grow.

cheers,
    Meshon

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

@ Carbus: You getting better and better! Cant wait to see more of those.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That's already totally awesome.

I'm having trouble drawing a city in this kind of map! I'm trying to draw them in a Isometric perspective, but do you guys think it's a good choice, or should I choose a different one? Also do you guys know any good tutorials about drawing cities in a Symbolic way? (something like Djekspek tutorial fantasy map - step by step city icon by *Djekspek on deviantART)
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Carbus; 05-08-2013 at 11:43 AM.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

To make cities, maybe apply some visual synecdoche? Make a part signify the whole. You could make the size and number of buildings represent population size, so a hamlet is one little cottage while a city could be two timber frame houses and a tower. I think making isometric buildings that match your current style would look great.

cheers,
    Meshon

Edit: Oops, I should have looked at that tutorial, that's great! Are you looking for something in a different style than that?

Quote Originally Posted by Meshon View Post
    To make cities, maybe apply some visual synecdoche? Make a part signify the whole. You could make the size and number of buildings represent population size, so a hamlet is one little cottage while a city could be two timber frame houses and a tower. I think making isometric buildings that match your current style would look great.

cheers,
    Meshon

Edit: Oops, I should have looked at that tutorial, that's great! Are you looking for something in a different style than that?
    That's what I had in mind, the part signify the whole! The thing is Im struggling to match with the style of my map, way I'm trying to draw cities, in a isometricy perspective, is getting weird :/.
    I'm really bad at drawing cities, and things in perspective, now imagine the both together

Later I'll try something like Djekspek did in here: Rarkonir by *Djekspek on deviantART and here:Small Fantasy Map by *Djekspek on deviantART

Quote Originally Posted by Carbus View Post
    Later I'll try something like Djekspek did in here: Rarkonir by *Djekspek on deviantART and here:Small Fantasy Map by *Djekspek on deviantART
    That second one doesn't actually look isometric, the buildings are just a front face (elevation) view, though it does fit the map well. It may help to break the process down if you're having trouble. You might try starting your drawings as individual buildings in front face and then on a duplicate layer use a slight perspective warp and continue drawing the roof lines and walls back into space to create an isometric look of each building. Once you have the lines all connected, mask the individual buildings off (paint solid opaque white/colors behind each building), merge the line and mask layers, and use a clone stamp tool to select the individual buildings to build your iso cities from.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

I hope in my next post I start telling the story behind Pritior (altough it´s not my best skill, I´ll try me best). But for now my new update! Again I´m still struggling to get the cities, and houses correctly in the matters of colour, position and etc.
    In this update I also started to create some landmarks, like the south lands below the sea where I´m thinking about creating a Desert area, the highest peak in the land of pritior (still unnamed) and also an impenetrable mountain fortress.
    ### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hex2.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	54383

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast