Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: May 2013 Entry: An Isolated Valley

Guild Apprentice

Default May 2013 Entry: An Isolated Valley

Good morning all! SO I don't come here often, but when I do, I'm always floored by the number of amazing artists who contribute! I've seen a few of these mapping challenges, and I thought it was high time that I try one out. So tonight around 7ish I sat down and started making my Hex map.

The map has one central starting location, a Dwarven mountain stronghold. I'm basing it off of another map I did a while back, here's a link to that one. So far I've got the hexes done. Will be working on the map soon, will update when I have something more to show off!

Have a great evening err morning everyone!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HexMap_Template_Combined.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	495.7 KB 
ID:	54347

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Oh fantastic, they look a bit like old chinese landscape paintings, and i like your idea of transit tiles between the locations.

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Indeed, the style looks very old-style-Chinese. Interesting idea.

I would also love to see swamp, Savanna and Dessert in your style. Cant say when the last Time was i liked Elements before even seen a map. I would do more tiles of the same type so it doesnt become repetative.

Ooh, very nice! Really looking forward to seeing how this all fits together.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Apprentice

Thanks everyone!

I was thinking about adding more tiles (because I'm really digging this style!), but the area I'm doing doesn't necessarily have other environment elements. I think after the contest I might add some more of these to help in making more maps. Once that is done, I'll upload the originals for everyones use.

So for now, I've finished putting the environment templates together. I don't want to show it off just yet, but I'm now moving into the process of adding extra content around the map. Key locations, encounter tables, and other goodies. Here are a few screens I took:

Name:	HexMap_SS2.jpg 
Views:	374 
Size:	849.1 KB 
ID:	54401

Name:	HexMap_SS3.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	352.7 KB 
ID:	54402

Its nice but i think more tiles of the same Terrain would Look better.

Interesting concept. I see that the tiles of the same terrain type are more or less seamless. . Reminds me of old time Bookcase war games. Nice so far! Need to put the ( ### LATEST WIP ### ) so it will get picked up by the thumbnail scrubber .
    Last edited by lostatsea; 05-09-2013 at 09:38 PM.
    "Aye The skies be clear , the seas be calm and the winds be with us .....

ARGH!! but the damn compass be broken!! "

Capt. Noah Swalter Last voyage of the " Silver Crest"

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Yup, most def. diggin' the vibe offa this one. One thing that struck me looking at the Terrain and navigation key...no grass land/flat and open hexes?
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Guild Apprentice

Ohh good observation! And I didn't realize about the tag, I'll be sure to add that too

So I went back in and added two more terrain variations. Grassland and Glacier. I did some refining of the tiles and took another screen. At some point I'll add some story background to this map, for now though, just a quick WIP post. Going to focus on the ruleset a bit, and add some elements around the map. I actually kind of want to run my kids through something like this. It would make for a neat board game.

I'm a big Settlers of Catan fan, endless hours of "wood" and "sheep" jokes. Anyhow, enjoy the day, thanks for coming up with these awesome contests

Thanks guys!

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	HexMap_SS5.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	54440

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast