Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Skandinavia in 1368

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

So they all get a kind of City/settlement symbol?

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

yep I guess placing capitals and main cities/towns will be ok on this kind of map.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzkreuz View Post
    So they all get a kind of City/settlement symbol?
    Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    yep I guess placing capitals and main cities/towns will be ok on this kind of map.
    I want to keep the map at least somewhat historically accurate (adding heraldry hasn't helped with that) and just figuring out if a town existed is time consuming enough, figuring out it's size would just not be possible for me.

Anyways, here's just something I'm throwing out there before heading to bed. What do you think of colorless ocean with more distinguished land borders? It would have to be done more properly of course. I'm already thinking of experimenting with something like adding 'waves' on the coast.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NoOceanColor.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	54493

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

i dont think there's any need for wavelines on this type of map. though you can always try them out and see what you like.

the map's looking lovely, though theres one thing im having trouble with - the font on the two cartouches - its too calligraphic, why not just use the same font to the map itself? or at least something similar

Quote Originally Posted by thamupp View Post
    Anyways, here's just something I'm throwing out there before heading to bed. What do you think of colorless ocean with more distinguished land borders? It would have to be done more properly of course.
    I prefer the look of the map with colourless ocean - it looks more classy for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by vorropohaiah View Post
    the map's looking lovely, though theres one thing im having trouble with - the font on the two cartouches - its too calligraphic, why not just use the same font to the map itself? or at least something similar
    Hmm, well, actually this was exactly the thing that I was talking about a bit earlier in the thread, but since noone else has mentioned it it though maybe it was just me imagining things. But I'm a bit confused, do you mean that I should change the country-name font or the cartouche font?

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

I guess that would mean changing the cartouches font, which probably make it more consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacktannery View Post
    I prefer the look of the map with colourless ocean - it looks more classy for some reason.
    I'm looking into it now.

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    I guess that would mean changing the cartouches font, which probably make it more consistent.
    Hmm, yes. But I don't know if I can make it "fancy" like it is now with a more plain font.

Name:	fancy.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	261.9 KB 
ID:	54506

And on a completely unrelated note, is this the worlds coolest looking coast?

Name:	soocool.JPG 
Views:	109 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	54505

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

yeah, i think changing the cartouche label font would be best, and regarding the title, i'm sure you can find something here: Gothic > Medieval fonts | dafont.com

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

I completely disagree with the other two, there are plenty of Maps (18-20. Century) that uses Special fonts for the cartuches and the title. Unifying the fonts are Not always resulting in a more legit map. It depends in which century he wants the map to simulate it was done. For a 14. Century origin its too clean anyway, Looks more like a 19. C historical map.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast