Thread: May 2013 Entry: Utgardar

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Wip May 2013 Entry: Utgardar

So here is my initial go at a map. The location is an area of an unexplored planet, close to a human colony. The colony is on its own (somehow... map and story grow together!) and so the inhabitants need to do a survey of their area. Humans arrived to a post-apocalyptic world, there are alien survivors living in the ruins and terrible mutated monsters everywhere! The map is intended to represent a survey that provides various kinds of data: predominant terrain, availability of resources, and general threat level based on hostile environments or aliens.

My problem right now is that I need to figure out a better work-flow to build this thing because it takes awhile to set up each hex. There are a few other logistical problems hampering my efforts, but hopefully I can clear them up and get this looking like something.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Utgardar.png 
Views:	114 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	54378

I think this is more a test of the concept.I don't really like my terrain icons yet but I'm happy with how the hexes are going. I basically want to try to make the actual hexes an important part of the map, as well as delimiting space.

cheers,
    Meshon

Edit: in the current configuration the solid coloured circles attached to each hex indicate availability of resources (top circle, green, blue, violet) and level of threat (bottom circle, yellow, orange, red). The terrain icons are forest, badlands, hills and mountains, though I'm thinking that I should really make them more alien-looking. Especially the trees...
    Last edited by Meshon; 05-08-2013 at 06:26 PM. Reason: clarification

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

I am liking where this is going. I do like the idea of a scifi hexmap, and this does give that feel.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Will there also be mixed terrain?

Neat idea. I for one like the hex symbols, but then I don't know what you had in mind.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

I'm planning on including a marker for a secondary terrain type as well, but I'm having a little trouble figuring out how I will put it all together. Sadly I'm short on time, but thank you for the feedbacks!

cheers,
    Meshon

Well, after having laid down some of the hex borders I've decided that it's too cluttered. Unfortunately this means I'm starting from the beginning again, so I'm not sure that I'll manage to carry this through to the end. Here's the point I decided to fail the current process. I have taken off the terrain icons for now. I think if I get back to this they will be part of the base map, with the hexes floating over it. Also inputting the coordinate values by hand is killin' me

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	failTest.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	522.0 KB 
ID:	54581

cheers,
    Meshon

Well best of luck to you, I know what a pain hand entering all that information can be (I've done a hex map myself). Hope you do manage to come up with another entry though, I'd love to see it.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh