Thread: WIP: Regional Map

Guild Adept

Wip WIP: Regional Map

I've been playing around with different tutorials, as a starting point, so it was inevitable that I got to Torq's Mountain Technique Using Wilbur and Gimp. I never just follow the tutorial unquestioningly though, so I tweaked some of the steps and added a few others. So far this is my result;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	torquedMap.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	508.0 KB 
ID:	54413

What I am having a real hard time with is coming up with a city marker concept that is not just the traditional dots, circles, stars, etc. I've tried small-scale mosaic filters, but I either have to make the cities
    too large for the scale or too small to get any real detail from them. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    James

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Traditional dots/circles and such are traditonial because most of the time they're the more legible

Guild Adept

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    Traditional dots/circles and such are traditonial because most of the time they're the more legible
    True dat.

The more different things I've tried, the more I've come to the conclusion that you are absolutely correct. Thank you for taking time from your busy mapping schedule to answer my question.

Guild Adept

Update: Tinkered with colors and added labels/symbols. There are some unseen changes as well. I've sort of come up with a story for the place and some ideas on where to put "GM Only" markers/labels. I tried laying a path through the river channels in the hills, so that I can cut out some rivers. Sadly, I was unable to come up with results that satisfied me. I may take another crack at it soon.

Name:	Faralod.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	562.4 KB 
ID:	54551

Guild Adept

Finally went through and named everything I want to name. Cycled through a bunch of names for the actual area until I settled on the one in the title graphic. I feel that the map is a little busy, but it lays out the general area I want my players to start adventuring in. I have both a Players and GM version. I even kept a version without labels, should anybody be interested in a small slice of a campaign world. I did not send that version to my dropbox account, so I'll have to post that if there is any interest.

Player Map

Name:	ViranduinPlayer.png 
Views:	88 
Size:	2.32 MB 
ID:	55094

GM Map

Name:	ViranduinGM.png 
Views:	122 
Size:	2.33 MB 
ID:	55095

Both maps are released into the Public Domain.

Lovely work tweaking the tutorial, the mountains blended in very well and the colors are great. Also, I quite like your forests. All in all very nice work.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Adept

Thanks. That means a lot coming from one of my favorite mappers.