Thread: Suggestion for a game map project

Default Suggestion for a game map project

My fellow cartographers, i've been lurking this wonderful community for some months (i am shy ), but now i really need your help! I am working on a top-view city map, the setting is something like "alternative-cold-war future" with a touch of steam/dieselpunk style (something like this: File:1847 Lower Manhattan map.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), the problem is how to draw the building and the district of the city. Any good advice? Tips?
    My thanks for your precious help!

Do you mean 'how' as in technique or style?
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

I think as a start, I would use a vector drawing prog like Inkscape or Illustrator to get the linework done. All those straight lines just beg for it I think. If you are asking about the style, I think the subdued colours are what gives it the feel that it does. I would just pick the colours directly from this map and use them as your pallet. For the woodcut water markings, I would just see if the vector prog could select the land and stroke larger grown selections of it using thinner lines as you go out. .
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    Do you mean 'how' as in technique or style?
    technique

Quote Originally Posted by Korash View Post
    I think as a start, I would use a vector drawing prog like Inkscape or Illustrator to get the linework done. All those straight lines just beg for it I think. If you are asking about the style, I think the subdued colours are what gives it the feel that it does. I would just pick the colours directly from this map and use them as your pallet. For the woodcut water markings, I would just see if the vector prog could select the land and stroke larger grown selections of it using thinner lines as you go out. .
    Yes, inkscape could work! One of my biggest problem however is how to mark the dfference between streets and "Open field", and how to handle the transition "city-countryside"

Quote Originally Posted by Haematinon View Post
    One of my biggest problem however is how to mark the dfference between streets and "Open field", and how to handle the transition "city-countryside"
    Maybe change the style of the line or use a different pattern on it?
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

or base color for the open fields as opposed to built up blocks
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent