Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Steampunk-ish political watercolor map

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Yea but your coastlines should follow the land shape and that's not the case in the lower portion you re-did so it looks odd :/

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    Yea but your coastlines should follow the land shape and that's not the case in the lower portion you re-did so it looks odd :/
    Think continental shelf.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

@Chashio:
    Thanks! That's an awesome idea about the torn paper. Soon I can make a complete map using just your suggestions About the scanner… I have an A4 scanner and the map is A3, so I'm scanning half at a time and piecing them together in the computer, which makes a vertical fuzzy line in the middle, and sometimes it gets darker as well depending on the mood of my scanner… I really want to buy a new one, but they are so expensive!

@-Max-
    Well, the coastlines sort of define the land shape, don't they Just kidding, I know what you mean and you are right, the shelf should follow the coast better. Didn't know the paper edge would end up being a shelf when i tore it though, so I had to improvise, and, you know, sometimes it doesn't work out perfectly (or in my case, most of the time it doesn't), but at least I learned something from it.

True. And I guess it's kinda hard to work without be able to make mistakes cause you can't go back on them

Doesn't have to follow every coastline. You're allowed to have shallow seas. And oceans rise and fall. Look at England's shelf area.

Ah yes, the curse of the little scanner. What I'd do... What I do to work around that is scan it three times... left, right, center. Then stitch them together. The lighting should improve and it won't be fuzzy. It does look a bit like someone sat on it, as it is.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I'm sad that the fuzzy caterpillars went away, but this look is interesting too.

@-Max-
    Actually I don't think it's harder per se, depends more on what you are used to I think. But yeah, you only have one chance to get it right when hand-painting, and I guess that can be stressful sometimes!

@Chashio
    That's true about the shelves, and good scanner trick, I'll give it a try with the next wip! Thanks!

@Diamond
    Well, hurry up and use it on a map of your own then Thanks for your support!

I began working on something small for the lite challenge today. Maybe I can do some multi-tasking, painting on one map while the other is drying… we'll see

You only do water colors work?

Pretty much. Sometimes I use acrylics too, if I need higher opacity, and usually I label digitally. I haven't been in this hobby for very long so I'll probably find other techniques I like, but I love how watercolors work and look

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I love how they look too. I've never used/thought about using them - is it expensive? Messy?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast