Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Steampunk-ish political watercolor map

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Thanks! Hopefully the setting will be clearer yet when I add symbols and railroads.

I'm really torn about the borders though. I want the colored style, but I can't get it to look right. I've made a couple more attempts but they aren't turning out any good. Either they become too colorful, or not steampunky enough. Three colors are too many, two are too boring. I'm considering doing something else entirely, like dotted lines, though I'm not really a fan of that kind of border for some reason. Does anyone have some other idea, or perhaps a suggestion for color combinations that would look better than what I've tried?

So, I tried something a bit different. This version focuses on only one nation. The others would still be detailed, but their borders wouldn't be defined. Maybe stupid, but I'm trying everything I can think of… I have also sketched some alternative border designs, including chains, barb wire, gears, victorian swirls, and other stuff, but they were all too decorative. I can post them if anyone wants to see, but I don't think I'll use them. I'm leaning towards this one actually (though I might move the eastern part a bit further west, more above the ship):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Steampunk9.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	109.2 KB 
ID:	55385

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

This brown border looks really odd and confusing, probably too thick.

I'm ok with odd, but confusing isn't good… Would you mind telling how you are confused?

By the way, speaking of absolutely nothing: 100th post, celebrating with an avatar (featuring lingonberries)!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Maybe the term isn't the proper one. I mean that looking at the map, the borders looks ...well very odd It focuses the attention way too much and kinda "kills" the map imho :/

Ah, I understand! You are absolutely right, it does focus the attention too much. Thanks, -Max-! Back to the drawing board… I think the barbed wire idea was the most suitable out of my sketches, so I'll develop that a bit more and post it when I have something descent

And, because I apparently don't know how to follow plans, here is a map border instead of nation borders:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Steampunk10.jpg 
Views:	1121 
Size:	2.61 MB 
ID:	55522

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Hey Lingon, any more progress on this? It's too awesome to die...

Sorry, I haven't touched this since the last update :/ Maybe I'll pick it up again sometime, I still kinda like the mountain style...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345