Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Inkscape Tapering River How-To

Tutorial [Award Winner] Inkscape Tapering River How-To

Here is a real quick way to make nice, tapering rivers in Inkscape. I'm not sure what version I have (I always use the nightly windows unstable builds) but this require Live Path Extensions which are available in the last stable release.

Alternately, you could use the Path along path extension to get a similar effect, but not editable.

Start by drawing a long, horizontal taper. This will be your "pattern". The width a the right-hand size will be the width of the river mouth. My lines here aren't straight, they have a slight curve on them. select this and hit ctrl-c (or edit->copy):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2008-06-24_124823.png 
Views:	3913 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	4587

Now draw the river you want. Start at the origin of the river and end at the mouth!. I use the pencil tool, then simplify the shape using ctrl-l (path->simplify). I then use the edit path by modes tool, select all the nodes (ctrl-a), and click the "make selected nodes smooth". here you can see the curce I drew with smooth node handles:

Name:	2008-06-24_124908.png 
Views:	1698 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	4588

With the river curve selected, open the Path Effects dialog (path->path effects). From the "Apply new Effect" dropdown, pick "Pattern along Path" then click "Add". Click the clipboard icon to paste the pattern we had copied back in the first step on to the path. For rivers, select Single, stretched. You can click on the Node Edit tool in the path effect dialog, and you will be able to change the pattern dynamically, seeing how it looks on the path:

Name:	2008-06-24_125037.png 
Views:	2712 
Size:	107.4 KB 
ID:	4589

The nice thing about pattern along path is that the original path (the river) can still be edited, and the pattern will just follow.

Draw a tributary (again with the pencil tool, then simplify and smooth nodes), keeping the direction in mind again. Repeat the last step. Here I am editing the pattern nodes to make this segment more narrow:

Name:	2008-06-24_125530.png 
Views:	728 
Size:	115.7 KB 
ID:	4590

To combine the rivers, select them all, and set their path and fill to "None", then group them together. Set the group fill to the colour you want (I picked cyan to demonstrate). Duplicate that group, and set the duplicate's stroke to a darker colour. I used blue, and 3 pixels. Now push the duplicate group below, and the whole river is nicely outlined (you could also blur the outline for a softer look):

Name:	2008-06-24_125806.png 
Views:	10280 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	4591

It is just as easy to add lake shapes to the group before setting the group stroke and fill to make lakes and rivers with continuous shoreline strokes.

-Rob A>

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Here is a real quick way to make nice, tapering rivers in Inkscape. I'm not sure what version I have (I always use the nightly windows unstable builds) but this require Live Path Extensions which are available in the last stable release.

Alternately, you could use the Path along path extension to get a similar effect, but not editable.

Start by drawing a long, horizontal taper. This will be your "pattern". The width a the right-hand size will be the width of the river mouth. My lines here aren't straight, they have a slight curve on them. select this and hit ctrl-c (or edit->copy):

Name:	2008-06-24_124823.png 
Views:	3913 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	4587

Now draw the river you want. Start at the origin of the river and end at the mouth!. I use the pencil tool, then simplify the shape using ctrl-l (path->simplify). I then use the edit path by modes tool, select all the nodes (ctrl-a), and click the "make selected nodes smooth". here you can see the curce I drew with smooth node handles:

Name:	2008-06-24_124908.png 
Views:	1698 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	4588

With the river curve selected, open the Path Effects dialog (path->path effects). From the "Apply new Effect" dropdown, pick "Pattern along Path" then click "Add". Click the clipboard icon to paste the pattern we had copied back in the first step on to the path. For rivers, select Single, stretched. You can click on the Node Edit tool in the path effect dialog, and you will be able to change the pattern dynamically, seeing how it looks on the path:

Name:	2008-06-24_125037.png 
Views:	2712 
Size:	107.4 KB 
ID:	4589

The nice thing about pattern along path is that the original path (the river) can still be edited, and the pattern will just follow.

Draw a tributary (again with the pencil tool, then simplify and smooth nodes), keeping the direction in mind again. Repeat the last step. Here I am editing the pattern nodes to make this segment more narrow:

Name:	2008-06-24_125530.png 
Views:	728 
Size:	115.7 KB 
ID:	4590

To combine the rivers, select them all, and set their path and fill to "None", then group them together. Set the group fill to the colour you want (I picked cyan to demonstrate). Duplicate that group, and set the duplicate's stroke to a darker colour. I used blue, and 3 pixels. Now push the duplicate group below, and the whole river is nicely outlined (you could also blur the outline for a softer look):

Name:	2008-06-24_125806.png 
Views:	10280 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	4591

It is just as easy to add lake shapes to the group before setting the group stroke and fill to make lakes and rivers with continuous shoreline strokes.

-Rob A>
    Thanks Rob. I will eventually have to start playing with Inkscape. Again, I now owe you like 15 rep points...

CT's, give this many his 5th, umm 8th, 12th... umm I lost count... tutorial icon.

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Apparently I can't rep you yet. This one definitely earns it.

One modification I've found is, once you have the geometry to your liking, Convert Object to Path on your tributary river and then Union the result to the rest of your river system. It lacks the easy fixability of your way, but seems simpler, and, in my opinion, looks slightly better. You can then manipulate individual nodes on your uber-Path river.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

So... can you import an image into the background of Inkscape so you can be sure you're placing rivers right?

Say... flatten a current copy of your working map and export it at (presumably at full size), then import into the background of Inkscape, get your river paths just right, then zap the background.

Then somehow, going back to, say, GIMP, import the river path right into GIMP?

I don't suppose you could detail the process you use?

This will be so much help to anyone who does not have a pressure sensitive tablet to be able to "fairly" easily draw rivers with a nice taper from start to finish.

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    This will be so much help to anyone who does not have a pressure sensitive tablet to be able to "fairly" easily draw rivers with a nice taper from start to finish.

Joe
    Like me

Even if you do have a pressure sensitive tablet rivers can sometimes be... painful.

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Would anyone like a tutorial on how to do this in photoshop or is this good enough to cover it for both?
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Arcana View Post
    Would anyone like a tutorial on how to do this in photoshop or is this good enough to cover it for both?
    Sure nuff! Though I don't have PS, we can never have to many ways to do the same thing in other tools(of course if the tuts were grouped by tool, it would help people find them, but I think someone mentioned that before).

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Quote Originally Posted by Arcana View Post
    If this can be done in photoshop, bring it on!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast