Thread: Throne Room

Post Throne Room

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	throne-room-1.png 
Views:	6821 
Size:	405.1 KB 
ID:	54638

An elaboration on a throne room with braziers tucked away in the side-niches.

I couldn't think of what to put in them other than maybe statues but...I think the lighting would be more interesting and possibly more ominous for a throne room with lights.

Just something of doodling.

-GP

Guild Adept Facebook Connected

I agree.

I love playing with light effect and deep shadows... You could combine the two ideas, though and have the light cast shadows out of the statues... Have one of the statues be that of a warrior and you have the players walk in the shadow of a sword (I did that on my last map), speak about "ominous".

I haven't worked on this map in a while but was browsing through the forum and saw the post.

Name:	throne-room-01a.png 
Views:	90 
Size:	498.3 KB 
ID:	61921

Here's an updated version with better shadows and lighting for the braziers.

What do you think?

I think, if I were the person in charge of the throne room, I would probably add light-sources on the main dias (top) and probably again at the bottom but not full braziers. Perhaps torches or some other lighting.

Name:	throne-room-02a.png 
Views:	93 
Size:	510.6 KB 
ID:	61922

Here's a lighter version of the whole map (took of a mask) to see if I like it. \

Name:	throne-room-03a.png 
Views:	175 
Size:	511.2 KB 
ID:	61923

And another with even more shadows removed and the grid restored.

Thoughts?
    -GP
    Last edited by Green-Pilgrim; 03-01-2014 at 12:31 PM.
    Larger copies of my maps located on flickr and can be used for your enjoyment.

Nice use of lightin,the whole thing has a nice sense of depth. The flat color on the brick walls seems incongruent with the more textured look on the rest. The direction of all the fires seems at odds with the typical assumption of overhead maps that if something is to be shown from any perspective then it will be that of looking from the bottom of the map.

Quote Originally Posted by madcowchef View Post
    Nice use of lightin,the whole thing has a nice sense of depth. The flat color on the brick walls seems incongruent with the more textured look on the rest. The direction of all the fires seems at odds with the typical assumption of overhead maps that if something is to be shown from any perspective then it will be that of looking from the bottom of the map.
    The brick wall exterior is from another map. Basically I just used it as the shell for this re-build. I haven't gotten as far as actually throwing texture at it yet.

I was trying to go with a 'radiating halo' from each brazier for the light source and assumed that the fire would create a 'bubble' of light that would be blocked by the walls.

May need to work on that.
    -Gp.
    Larger copies of my maps located on flickr and can be used for your enjoyment.

Awesomeness