Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Political Map Korachan and its environs following the Events of the Great War...WIP

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Default A Political Map Korachan and its environs following the Events of the Great War...WIP

A W.I.P of a personal map I'm working on at the moment. The map is going to be in the style of a later 19th century political map (so no mountains or forests, not that any forests exist in the depicted region!), but expect lots of different labels and small insets and dry river beds and industrial/raw material locations (foundries, quarries, open cast mines, ruins etc.) and a lot of labels. If im happy with the results of this map i'll probably use a similar style for all future atlas maps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	korachan political.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	2.27 MB 
ID:	54647

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

I'm doing something similar at the moment, 19th century-esque political map, so this will be interesting to follow. And it would of course be interesting even if I wasn't doing something similar

Mind if I ask what projection you are using? I've looked at tons of maps from the period and almost all seem to use the same, the one you have picked. I'd love to use it as well.

not sure if its the same though im using an equidistant conic, based off of a equirectangular world map

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

I am still very unsure about mapstyles Beyond the 18. Century. Most Time i relate more to classic Copperplate styles like J. Blaeu's Atlas Maior. Nevertheless i can fully understand your choice of styles and texture in your Atlas.

I really like it and hope to see more. What software do you use to get such a clean line?

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzkreuz View Post
    I am still very unsure about mapstyles Beyond the 18. Century. Most Time i relate more to classic Copperplate styles like J. Blaeu's Atlas Maior. Nevertheless I can fully understand your choice of styles and texture in your Atlas.
    well the world is pretty advanced and (tech-wise, at least) is comparable to industrial-age England so i figured a map-style fitting of that period would better convey it (though to give a bit more information, it's an industrial age that's stagnated for a very long time on an old world with nearly spent resources, so it's reaching the end of this age. The timeline goes on for about another 100-years, by which point its a bit more of a post-apocalyptic world with people competing over what remains of resources and most empires having crumbled due to ruined economies and starvation, amongst other things

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    I really like it and hope to see more. What software do you use to get such a clean line?
    though illustrator/inkscape would be better for such lines, i just used photoshop and a 4px normal brush

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Thanks for the projection info, maybe it isn't the same but it's similar enough for me

Guild Member Facebook Connected Lezales's Avatar

How do you do the stripes near your coasts ?

Other than that I really like it. It's very clean-looking !

Oh wow, this is going to be great I think! Did you make the paper texture youself? It looks really good.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I really like that soft blue color palette. This should be cool to watch develop...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast