Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: City of Fogdown - WIP

Usually a gentle, "yeah, but what about the map?" suffices to get folks back on topic. To be honest, I find it rather extraordinary that we stay on topic as much as we do, rather than wandering off into discussions of hadron collanders.

Back to the point... the flooded cemetery looks much better. Though now I'm having images of corpses floating off and washing up on beaches elsewhere around the island.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    Back to the point... the flooded cemetery looks much better. Though now I'm having images of corpses floating off and washing up on beaches elsewhere around the island.
    Well, given that food is scarce anyway ...

[eww!]

S. John Ross Ghalev
    Who Dat? Games Fonts Uresia

Now I'm wishing I could give negative rep...

Just kidding.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

I'm thinking that the flooded graveyard may bring in scavengers from the sea to feed on the bodies so it might be a good place to fish. Course there could be social/religious constraints about eating any of these fish/sea creatures. Who wants to eat a fish that might have been feeding on one's dead relatives.

I've also been thinking about the mountains. Perhaps the poorest of the poor can't afford a sea burial and are forced to bury their dead in holes dug into the mountain. Perhaps an area of the mountain would hold a pauper's grave where the dead are dropped into deep pits.

Just some ideas to mull over. Great map, Redstar. Keep up the great work.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Turgenev View Post
    I've also been thinking about the mountains. Perhaps the poorest of the poor can't afford a sea burial and are forced to bury their dead in holes dug into the mountain. Perhaps an area of the mountain would hold a pauper's grave where the dead are dropped into deep pits.
    Well, that's what the crematorium is for, outside the cometary They couldn't bury anyone else there once it was flooded so... but mass cannibalism sounds like an interesting twist as well.

EDIT: I think just including "no world building comments please" would be fine. You usually see "comments and criticisms" or "CC's". Not much different I think. Then again, I'm also a n00b on the boards so feel free just to ignore me
    Last edited by Redstar; 08-05-2008 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghalev View Post
    There are many other examples, too ... really, only in stock fantasy worlds are cities required to be surrounded by farmland Early Novgorod had no outside-the-walls farmland at all, for just one example ... but heavy river-traffic (and a bit of cart-traffic) did the trick. And that's without any handwaving or magic to ease the strain. A cool climate helps, of course!
    The city of Venice had as its main problem to secure safe trade routes for grain shipping for the entirety of its existence. This, and to procure wood for the fleet, was a strong reason for its hold over Dalmatia. The rest of the maritime empire always came second.

Edited to Add: I think it's kinda cool that most of the threads on WIPs tend to branch off into unrelated worldbuilding matters in addition to cartographic matters, but is there a site etiquette for requesting cartography-only critiques with no worldbuilding tangents?
    Since the absolute majority of the maps on here have fantastical origins, wouldnt it be awfully dull not to be able to discuss the thought-process that preceeded the map creation?

It's a great map Redstar

Hoping for a new WiP soon
    My Map Challenge Entries

I use GIMP for all my maps.

GIMP scripts and plug-ins overview

Everything I post on this site uses the Creative Common Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike license. Only exception to this are any pyhton scripts which use the GPL.

If you are using any of my posted stuff just use your rep stick on me

Should you be interested in using anything I posted on commercial purpose drop me a pm.

I like the thought process involved with generating the map and all of its pieces, but I am left wondering about your choice of compass rose in the upper left hand corner. It seems to be of a completely different style than the rest of the piece both in style and placement. Just my 2 cents
    Something witty and pithy

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234