Thread: History of Mapmaking Reference...?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default History of Mapmaking Reference...?

Wow, you guys are prolific! Which is great...however, it also means if there's already a thread answering my question, I haven't been able to find it.

I'm not a mapmaker, and I'm neither artistically nor mathematically gifted, so I'm not really looking to become one. However! I am pretty interested in the development of cartography through the years. I'd like to read something relatively technical about the subject.

I recently acquired a book called The Mapmakers by John Noble Wilford, which I'm hoping will sate my curiosity, but I haven't started reading it yet and am not entirely sure if it's what I was looking for. (Just flipping through it, it's primarily text. I was hoping it would have more graphical examples of cartographic-improvements-in-action.)

Anyway, stumbling upon this forum, it seems like its members are the perfect people to ask for suggestions! I'd by grateful to review any reading material which might be what I'm looking for. I had a rough time on Amazon, mostly just finding collections of maps. There were a few textbooks, as well, but I don't recall seeing any that charted the course improvements in the field over the ages.

Cheers!
    Wizard

Glad to see your interest SW. A couple of options for you. First the website,http://www.maphistory.info/ provides quite a bit of information on just that, the history of maps and mapmaking...of course, for me, it's a case of information overload.

Also, if you are looking to "donate" your money for a great tome, the University of Chicago Press published the multi-volume http://www.press.uchicago.edu/books/HOC/index.html. Volume One, on prehistoric, Old World, Ancient Europe, Africa, and Middle Eastern cartography is $260 for the coffee table version, but it's also free as a PDF.

Hope that helps you some.

Quote Originally Posted by WillP View Post
    Hope that helps you some.
    This is...this is phenomenal! Thank you so much. Looks like these two links alone will keep me busy...indefinitely.

Thanks again!

The SW

Quote Originally Posted by Silly_Wizard View Post
    Wow, you guys are prolific! Which is great...however, it also means if there's already a thread answering my question, I haven't been able to find it.

I'm not a mapmaker, and I'm neither artistically nor mathematically gifted, so I'm not really looking to become one. However! I am pretty interested in the development of cartography through the years. I'd like to read something relatively technical about the subject.

I recently acquired a book called The Mapmakers by John Noble Wilford, which I'm hoping will sate my curiosity, but I haven't started reading it yet and am not entirely sure if it's what I was looking for. (Just flipping through it, it's primarily text. I was hoping it would have more graphical examples of cartographic-improvements-in-action.)

Anyway, stumbling upon this forum, it seems like its members are the perfect people to ask for suggestions! I'd by grateful to review any reading material which might be what I'm looking for. I had a rough time on Amazon, mostly just finding collections of maps. There were a few textbooks, as well, but I don't recall seeing any that charted the course improvements in the field over the ages.
    I've found Wikipedia and antique book stores to be surprisingly helpful.

Those are great informational links, WillP! I've found Wikipedia useful as well, but I'll have to check these sites out.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Wikipedia is normally my first site, but I also like to dovetail occasionally into deeper reading.