Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: simple wood-cut wave lines tutorial

Guild Member Facebook Connected Lezales's Avatar

Thanks for the tutorial Vorro, it took me a while to find out you had written it here !
    Anyway I'm having problems with step 3. I got my landmass layer with my outerglow and a second layer above it on which I created a solid black striped pattern. Now on which layer do I create the layer mask and with what selection ?

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lezales View Post
    I'm having problems with step 3. I got my landmass layer with my outerglow and a second layer above it on which I created a solid black striped pattern. Now on which layer do I create the layer mask and with what selection ?
    the way i made the tutorial, the mask hiding the land needs to be applied to the layer with the stripes, though that might need to be diofferent depending on how you made your map. a screenshot of the layers themselves might help

Quote Originally Posted by vorropohaiah View Post
    the way i made the tutorial, the mask hiding the land needs to be applied to the layer with the stripes, though that might need to be diofferent depending on how you made your map. a screenshot of the layers themselves might help
    I'm having the same sort of problem as Lezales. Perhaps I'm just following the tutorial incorrectly or masks are getting the better of me.

Here's a screenshot of where I'm at. I don't know where to go from here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	55185  

well, its probably my inept explaining-skills :p

so, what colour is your outer glow? on my first post the outer glow is a nice petrol-blue-ish colour (the map background itself is all white - i see that yours is blue. yo uobviosuly want the outer glow to stand out against the background colour.)

from your screenshot all that appears to be missing is a layer mask on the top-most layer (with the pattern) hiding the land (so basically the layer mask should have black land and white water, if that makes any sense)

so, what colour is your outer glow? on my first post the outer glow is a nice petrol-blue-ish colour (the map background itself is all white - i see that yours is blue. yo uobviosuly want the outer glow to stand out against the background colour.)
    It's actually black. The land layer is white with a black stroke and black outer glow. The background is blue because it's "water". I did that so I wouldn't get confused with what is and is not land. What I'm doing is just testing and familiarizing myself with how this works. Nothing in the image I'm making will I save.

from your screenshot all that appears to be missing is a layer mask on the top-most layer (with the pattern) hiding the land (so basically the layer mask should have black land and white water, if that makes any sense)
    Now, how would one go about doing that?

EDIT: Wait. I think I figured this out.

EDIT #2: Nevermind.
    Last edited by Adolon; 06-07-2013 at 04:04 PM.

you managed?

you managed?
    No, unfortunately. I thought I did.

Guild Member Facebook Connected Lezales's Avatar

I tried again. Doesn't work.

So basically before the last step I have, starting from bottom to top: 1) a white background layer 2) my initial draw of the land mass in black 3) the layer we created called land which is the land filled in white on which I have the outer glow and the stroke 4) a layer with a striped pattern over the whole document. The stripes are black and the space in between is transparent. Where do I put the mask, how do I do it ? Whatever I try it doesn't work.

I can't get it to work either on the last step. Is there any chance you could zip your psd file and attach it? Might be the quickest way? I love the concept it's really simple and I should be able to work it out myself, but I'm defeated!

Edit: below is my screenshot

Name:	Untitled-2.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	446.0 KB 
ID:	55476  

Ah, I have it now. I had black and white stripes rather than black and transparent stripes. I still can't work out why it works. Surely I should be seeing black stripes? :Edit: no wait, I did something else to get the effect see attachment.

Name:	Untitled-3.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	55477  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast